• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Full Critique Panman

Mike Singh

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Here are some photos of a young steelpan player. I had a go with textured backgrounds and colour grading as well. I would appreciate your feedback.

Pannest male.jpg

Pannest boy-2.jpg

Pannest boy-3.jpg

Compuwight

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I am only a novice so IMHO the picture without textured background is the better shot, I am drawn to his smiling eyes whereas the textured ones draw my eye away from the subject. But hey its just a opinion.
PS some lighting on the LHS of his face would improve the picture overall.

Pete Larkin

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Nice portrait shot Mike.
For me, the textured shots work better, but I think because of the colour palette rather than the texture. The texture is ok, but I would say needs to be more pronounced, as it is only just visible.

Piquet

Old Hand
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Nice set

Mj224

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I prefer the first, as the facial colour looks more real to me. The background in the others is off-putting IMHO.

But its a nice portrait, a nice friendly face...:)

Mike Singh

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I am only a novice so IMHO the picture without textured background is the better shot, I am drawn to his smiling eyes whereas the textured ones draw my eye away from the subject. But hey its just a opinion.
PS some lighting on the LHS of his face would improve the picture overall.
Thanks!
Nice portrait shot Mike.
For me, the textured shots work better, but I think because of the colour palette rather than the texture. The texture is ok, but I would say needs to be more pronounced, as it is only just visible.
Thanks Pete. The textured background is a photo of the surface of a steel pan. I thought the 2 would go good together: player and instrument. On my PC I can make out the steel pan as the BW. I am really not good at split toning.
Thanks
I prefer the first, as the facial colour looks more real to me. The background in the others is off-putting IMHO.
But its a nice portrait, a nice friendly face...:)
Thanks!

Mike Singh

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Here's one with the texture only and no split tone.
Pannest boy-4.jpg

Southern Gent

Old Hand
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
As was already mentioned, I prefer the original. The last one with texture only is okay, but I find when using texture that many times it creates less than desirable skin. In those cases I use a mask with a soft brush to paint away the texture off the skin.