• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Pentax MZ-M Auto rewind problem

robertpi

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Hello all,

I decided to have a go at some film photography after being digital only for quite a while. I have an old Pentax MZ-M that my wife used to use, but has not touched for many years.

I've been trying to load film into, but as soon as I do, the camera's auto rewind kicks in and rewinds the film back into the canister. So a few questions:
- could this be something I'm doing wrong? We have the manual, and I've followed the instruction, which are pretty straight forward, so I don't think it's the case, but difficult to be sure the problem is not something I'm doing wrong.
- if this is an issue with the camera, is there some way I could fix it myself?

I'm happy to clarify any points that are unclear from this post and any hints or advice would be gratefully received.

Kind regards,
Robert

Roger S

Crazy Canuck
Administrator
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
The old Pentax forums are full of threads about this particular problem on all MZ/ZX series cameras, but not since around 2016. Pentax severely reduced their sales of camera parts to the public around 2012 and the supplies are drying up.
One of the possibilities for the continuous rewind is the film tension sensor. Good luck trying to find one. Second fault could be the little rewind switch on the side (the one for rewinding part rolls of film) is faulty. The last possibility is the transport motor itself. Thankfully there are a few dealers who still have those in stock.

USCamera Pentax motor

robertpi

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Hi Roger - thanks for the info, I've had a look at Pentax forums and found some of the post you're talking about. I did a little further research and even found the part list and the services manual of the MZ-M.

Still trying to decide whether to open it and look for the issue myself or just send it off to an independent camera workshop, I found a few of them active in France.