1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Pentax Q10 with Nikon Lenses

Discussion in 'All Other Equipment Reviews Forum' started by Roger S, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Roger S

IOTM

Roger S Crazy Canuck Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    As you know, I obtained a Pentax Q10 a short while ago, and paid peanuts for it. Well I ordered a lens adaptor for it to fit my manual N1kon lenses, just for fun.

This is not the greatest scenery, but I thought I would have some fun testing. The Q10 has a 1/2.3 sensor, which makes a crop factor of 5.6 in 35mm terms.

This first is the Pentax 02 lens which covers 5-15 mm.

5mm or 35mm equivalent of 28mm

5mm test.jpg

Then we move to the Nikon nifty fifty, making this a crop equivalent of 280mm

50mm test.jpg

Then I went to the Nikon 100-300 lens at 100mm or a 35mm equivalent of 560mm

100mm test.jpg

And finally zooming in to 300mm on the Nikon lens, or 35mm equivalent of 1680mm

300mm test.jpg

These are all tripod mounted and aimed at exactly the same centre.

I have come to a couple of stalling points here. Is it the 300mm lens that is not sharp, or is it the VR built into the camera that makes it lose clarity at a high zoom on a tripod?

I guess that means more tests are in order.

I might add that the Q10 prompts you to input the lens info whenever there is not an electronic lens attached. I hadn't even noticed what that did until I examined the EXIF in these and found that the lens length had been written into it. :)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
    Testmod 3 likes this.
  2. ed taylor

ed taylor Super Ed Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Works well by the look of it. Love the amount of snow you have

Roger S likes this.
  3. mikew

mikew Here a lot Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Could you crop one from a Nikon body to match the Pentax size image,that should tell you.

Roger S likes this.
  4. Roger S

IOTM

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    There's an idea, but it would be one heckuva crop. I'll give it a go.

Testmod 3 likes this.
  5. MikeB

MikeB Old Hand Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Good start to the tests. The 300mm shot is a puzzler.

Roger S likes this.
  6. SeanNeedham

SeanNeedham Ol' Sparky Honorary Life Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Could be one or both Roger; try backing the lens off to about 270mm and having a look. Also, if there's VR in the camera and it's on a tripod, turn the VR off; I don't know about how it's implemented in the Pentax, but a lot of stabilisation systems would introduce visual instability if they're on a stable base because they're trying to compensate against nothing... Basically they're trying to fix something that isn't broken.

Roger S likes this.
  7. Roger S

IOTM

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Thanks Sean. I haven't gotten back to more testing yet as the weather has not been co-operating. I used the tripod and a 2 second timer for each shot to try and reduce vibration so maybe it is the VR that was affecting it. I will be backing off the lens and shutting off VR for my next tests. I want to try and get a moon shot at 1600mm equivalent as soon as the weather decides to let me.

8. SeanNeedham

SeanNeedham Ol' Sparky Honorary Life Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Given that, I'd say that perhaps a lot of it is the vibration reduction (though still test the lens); some newer stuff is meant to be able to detect how much to put in depending on shake (so would, perhaps should, be able to sense when on a tripod and shut down), though VR is one of them things to me where, like a lot of other system functions, if it's not needed don't have it on. Here's a bit of a good read with some pictures about the ins and outs of it though the info is drawn for lens based systems.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explor...ge-stabilization-when-use-it-and-when-turn-it

Roger S likes this.