1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Photo of a friend

Discussion in 'Portrait Images Forum' started by Evertking, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Evertking

Evertking Well-Known Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    This was taken with a 6D and my fav lens, the 135mm f2. 36925703_2220304577986843_2197835636965113856_o.jpg
    And a Godox AD600 in a 5ft Octa.

SharonH likes this.
  2. Roger S

Roger S Crazy Canuck Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    The lighting in this is great, as is her expression. Some small critique might be cutting off the top of her head here. That can work great in a straight headshot, but not in this case. I would be tempted to crop this to a headshot only which would also get rid of the single finger showing at the bottom.

Isac, Mike Singh and Evertking like this.
  3. Evertking

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    If I wanted to short light, would I just change the way she stands and the position of her head?
    I always think, yeah I'm going to short light and this and that but it all goes out the window when it's time. Lol
    Also would I feathering the box kinda behind her?
    The image above the edge of the box was pointed kinda at her nose with the bulk of the light shooting past and in front of her.
    The video I watched said the edge give the softest light but I just don't see how that would work with short lighting.
    Hope that makes sense.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  4. Mike Singh

Mike Singh Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    What do you mean by “short light”?

5. Evertking

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Short and broad light. Light pattern on the face. The picture above is broad lit and from what I'm reading about portraiture a woman is more flattering short lit.
    In the image above the left or short side of the face should be lit and letting shadows shape the broad side and make her slimmer.
    I get nervous and busy messing with the light and camera and forget all about the light position.

Mike Singh likes this.
  6. Isac

Isac Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I really don't mind the lighting, I think it's very creative. I'm a bit like Roger I guess in saying a crop would be better to remove the single finger on the bottom but maybe a quick edit to show all of her hair, place her eyes using the Rule-of-Thirds and remove the halos on her shoulders. I think you've done well to portray her as a lovely young lady with a great personality. She has "smiling eyes" which makes her extremely photogenic. Well done.
    36925703-E.jpg

Roger S, Mike Singh and Evertking like this.
  7. Evertking

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I don't mind at all, and that did make a difference.
    Thanks.
    I loose all my thoughts when I get out there. I am getting better at slowing down and LOOKING what's in our out of frame. Finger, trees and just little things.
    I love OCF and what it does for a image. Just something about it.

8. Minor Problem

Minor Problem Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Much prefer the crop of the edit. My only thought from first glance is of a disparity between the white strobe light falling on her face against the warm background. I'd be tempted to process the image twice once warming the lighting on her face and then layer them together in PS to balance the colour temp of the whole image. A quick way would be to go over her face with the brush tool in LR with the colour temp raised a little.

The 135 f2 is a great lens in both Canon and Nikon incarnations. I was after one for a while but the results I get from my 70-200 2.8 are good enough for me to struggle to justify the expense when there's other lenses I'd like to buy too.

Isac and Evertking like this.
  9. Evertking

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I been looking into just getting a warm gel and that should fix it, right?
    I been thinking of selling my 85 and 135 and getting a 70-200.

10. Minor Problem

Minor Problem Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    If portraiture is your thing I'd stick with the two you have. I adore my 85mm and if I did more people shots I'd go for the 135 too. The zoom is an amazing lens (I understand the Canon one is as good as the Nikon I use) but not quite as good from an image quality point of view as the primes. You'd need to look hard and know your stuff to tell the difference in images though.

11. beersurgeon

beersurgeon Here a lot

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    The cropped pics looks great!