1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Photo printing at home

Discussion in 'Photography Chat Forum' started by bob490, May 19, 2017.

1. bob490

bob490 Member Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Does anybody print their photos at home?
    I'm looking to create an Photo album with photos printed at home. I'm sure that I cant be the only person who likes to look at photo paper rather than an LCD screen?
    Has anybody else done something similar?
    What App or software did you use to create?

2. DonS

DonS Stuck in Toronto Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I print photos for my mom but that is about it.

bob490 likes this.
  3. MikeB

MikeB Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Your printer's manufacturer likely has an application for printing, I would look there first. Printing software has to have the profiles of the paper being used to ensure the best quality print. Epson has their paper profiles in the printer, Canon and HP does the same. You can use other paper but you need to download the profiles and then load the profile into the printer. Software like Adobe's Lightroom and Photoshop provide support of a range of printers.

I use the Photoshop interface or Canon's application.

bob490 likes this.
  4. Agiledogs

Agiledogs Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    On top of what MikeB said I would also recommend calibrating your lcd screen and your printer to ensure color accuracy...especially when soft proofing on your chosen paper type so that you match as close as you can between how things look on screen and how things look printed....there will be some differences based on the difference between light pushing through an image (screen) vs light reflecting off the image (paper) but good calibration and proper use of icc profiles should minimize this.

bob490 likes this.
  5. Mike Singh

Mike Singh Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I won't think of it! To complicated and expensive for me. I get photobooks done online with photo box.

balami and bob490 like this.
  6. SeanNeedham

SeanNeedham Ol' Sparky Honorary Life Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Find a print house to do it, it's cheaper and a lot less hassle than doing small batch prints at home.

7. oldgeezer

oldgeezer Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I print from Photoshop and use an Epson printer.
    It's a nightmare even with all the profiles and calibration.
    I only ever print small 6x4 for close family and have never been satisfied.
    Get them done elseswhere, it's far cheaper and you get far better results but you should calibrate your monitor.

bob490 likes this.
  8. bob490

bob490 Member Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Hi All
    Thanx for your replies its been an eye opener. I tried the usual software Microsoft Office, Publisher etc. Found Adobe InDesign trial very good and I may subscribe via the cloud.
    I hear the advice regarding monitor calibration and will implement thanx.
    The main reason for asking was because my wife is a technophobe! she dont do computers. We both would like to have hard copy Albums for memories and we both like getting creative.
    photo paper and ink now very competitive online although I guess my HP printer is gona have to work hard haha.

9. RyanB

RyanB Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Careful with cheap ink refills, I bought cheap last year and any photos I printed looked good at the time but any that were exposed to sun started fading within 6-8 months. Now if I want some printing done I go to a local printer which uses professional paper and decent ink and have had no problems since.

bob490 likes this.
  10. H1ghlander

H1ghlander Always on

Edit my images ?:
    No
    I would avoid home printing. Eye wateringly expensive and very difficult to recreate what you see on screen unless you're a rocket scientist
    Use a good reputable online printer who offers print and paper profiles to recreate exactly what you see on screen. Monitor calibration is essential.

powly and bob490 like this.
  11. Snips

Snips Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I do but that's only because I make money from my printer. To have decent printing is expensive but if you have the budget available then it really is worth it. A decent printer is expensive though and hence the comments above recommending going to a printer.

I can't explain it but there is definitely something about seeing your photograph in print.
    Or as a jigsaw and making it! :banana:

bob490 likes this.