1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Photographing light clothing on dark background

Discussion in 'Studio Lighting Forum' started by Rachel Parry, Mar 2, 2018.

1. Rachel Parry

Rachel Parry Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Hi, I'm hoping some of you might be able to help us out. We work in an Oxfam charity shop, and photograph clothing to sell on the online shop. We are trying to photograph white and very light coloured items against a black background, and are struggling to get the lighting etc correct. We don't have very fancy equipment - the camera we use is a bridge camera, a Canon SX400 IS. We have white plastic mannequins, a black fabric background, 2 softbox lights and 2 black umbrella lights with silver inside, which we normally use to highlight the background when we use a white backdrop. Does anybody have any experience of this set up, that could offer us some advice, please? We are trying to get a black background with no creasing etc of the backdrop visible, and a good product shop, without shadows etc.

2. rebel06

rebel06 Without a cause Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    how close to the background is the mannequin as this will make a big difference

3. paulmag

paulmag Always on Honorary Life Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    The camera will try to balance the exposure with an average making the exposure wrong if you can use manual as you have fixed lights it will make life easier and get the exposure set for the lighter item and forget the background it will appear darker.

Manual setting may seem scary but is quite easy where you have fixed lighting

4. Rachel Parry

Rachel Parry Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    About 4 feet away. The room we use is narrow, but long enough for us to have that amount of space behind the mannequin, and probably 6 feet in front before you hit the wall!

Hi Paul, the exposure is the +/- button, isn't it? We are not professional photographers by any means, some of us can just about manage to turn the camera on!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2018
  5. rebel06

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Don't think this camera has Manual mode, not even Apperture or shutter modes .. .only auto or P mode , but does have scene specific modes

6. rebel06

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    The +/- button is probably exposure compensation, so try and increase the setting with the + and see if that helps

7. Rachel Parry

Rachel Parry Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    That's correct. It has the +/-, white balance and ISO

8. paulmag

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    OK if thats the case no manual setting then exposure compensation is the way to go +/-

9. Rachel Parry

Rachel Parry Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Great, thank you. What would you advise with regards to lighting? Presumably, keep the lights away from the backdrop!

10. paulmag

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Yes just light the subject

11. oldgeezer

oldgeezer Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    As long as you keep the lighting off the background it should go to black.
    Set a softbox either side facing 90 deg to the subject and use the back edge level with the rear of the subject.
    Are you using flash or constant lighting ? Its not important but using flash, you need a black photo when turned off to show that the ambient light has no effect.

12. Rachel Parry

Rachel Parry Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    We're just using the soft box lights, flash is turned off

13. oldgeezer

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Do you mean they are flash heads in the softbox turned off or The camera pop-up flash.

Anyway this is a diagram of what I mean for whatever lights you are using. Flash or constant lights.

Plan.jpg

14. Rachel Parry

Rachel Parry Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Oh right! I did say we're not very experienced, lol. The lights in the soft boxes are just lights, no flash or anything like that. And the pop-up camera flash is off too. We are about to go and try out the set up you've shown us - wish us luck!

15. oldgeezer

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    As long as you keep the lights off the background you can play with angles of the lights.

16. Rachel Parry

Rachel Parry Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Ok, we couldn't get a light either side as the space is too narrow, so we've put one facing down onto the mannequin, and this is the result. We had to put the exposure below zero by a couple of notches (-2/3, if that sounds right!) What do you reckon?!

IMG_3137.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2018
  17. hooferinsane

hooferinsane EXIF Seeker Super Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Don't forget to press the 'full image' button when you upload, I have done this one for you

18. hooferinsane

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    You've done quite well on this, but there are artefacts on the bottom right on the black background. You have your 'edit my images' choice set to no. If you were to set it to yes, people would be able to show you how to improve it in software PP

19. Rachel Parry

Rachel Parry Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Ok, I've changed the 'edit my image' option. However, we don't have Powerpoint! A bit beyond our budget, but if anybody knows of free software, we can see about downloading it.

20. hooferinsane

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    PP btw is post production, not powerpoint
    GIMP is a good free editor, but without any knowledge of how to do it, you may find it tricky to start with