1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Photoshop CC 2017 Refine Edge

Discussion in 'Photoshop & Editing Chat Forum' started by Ramble Vision, Nov 10, 2016.

1. Ramble Vision

Ramble Vision Mountain Climber Super Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    so I have updated my version of CC (and am beginning to wish I hadn't), they seem to have removed the refine edge option when selecting and replaced it with a whole mode, called something like select and refine. its in the select drop down menu at the top.

anyway on the old version I used to be able to select the sky or something using the quick select tool, it would pick the sky resonantly well but not great, then id click the refinance button and nine times out of ten it would automatically tidy up the edge nicely, sometimes there would be a troublesome bit like a tree or something, but a quick paint over with the brush and the section became fine. so yes 10 - 15 seconds and nice tidy selection.

anyway this new tool allows you pant the quick section on, and then there is a refine brush that lets you refine the edge. but I have been using it on a couple of images and it dong a terrible job of finding the edge, to the point that is no better then just using the quick select tool with no edge refining. so on the last two images its taken minutes to get a selection and im still not completely happy with the selection at that.

So it seems right now like a step backwards, but that said the images I was working with are seascapes so this fact might not be helping (?)

so yes just wondering if anyone else is finding it as bothersome to use as me, or if there is something im doing wrong or whatever?

cheers

2. hooferinsane

hooferinsane EXIF Seeker Super Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Just a long shot, but are you touching the bit that you don't want to select with the crosshair inside the brush circle, as this may select something you don't want to

3. Ramble Vision

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I don't know is the honest answer, but then I didn't realise this was somthing I need to be aware of, so could be .

The old system seemed to let me be very gung-ho though

4. Snips

Snips Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Topaz Remask 5

Free trial for a month. Register again for another free month. And repeat :)

5. Minor Problem

Minor Problem Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I've always struggled with refine edge. really contrasty edges work fine but anything of similar tones and I've found it pretty hopeless. I had hoped it would improve over time not get worse though!

6. Ramble Vision

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    thanks for the recommendation edward, but id rather avoid using a plugin for this if i can help it. it should be easy to do in PS really

these ones i have been working are quite similar so it could jet be that, i just always found the other way easy.

probably just a coincidence,

i have been watching a couple of videos and it seems to perform in a similar way