• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Photoshop Question?

johnytrout

Here a lot
My Photoshop opens with a certain photograph every time I start up.
Does anyone know how to change this so that I can open with a blank screen?

oldgeezer

Always on
Premium Member
What do you mean a certain photo ?

Is it the same every time or the last one you opened last boot up ?

johnytrout

Here a lot
I'm not sure if it's allowed.... I was doing a tutorial on cutting out hair in P.S
Anyway, some how the same picture comes up every time I open
Screenimage.jpg

rebel06

Looking for a cause.
You could try and reset your PS to factory settings.
Press these 3 keys CTRL ALT SHIFT and right click PS and select open .... do not let the 3 keys go ... a pop up will come on and ask if you want to rest.

Last edited:

oldgeezer

Always on
Premium Member
I've never come across this ever. The title of the open document is huge and duplicates across the title bar which seems strange. Also try emptying your Cache.
Do what Paul suggests and if it doesn't work I would re install photoshop.

When you click to close the photo, what does it say.

rebel06

Looking for a cause.
It's not just the image by the look of it, as it also contains layers and layer masks.

johnytrout

Here a lot
Yes, I realized that Rebel ... I merged all layers and saved, then shut the image down.
I close photoshop as usual. when I open, it is back again.
I will try the reset to factory settings

SeanNeedham

Ol' Sparky
Honorary Life Member
The document title is a clue. This is a recovered document, one that didn't close properly or save correctly when it was worked on (either because PS crashed or for some other reason).

This image will be in a hidden folder under "<system drive>:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop <version>\AutoRecover". You'd have to go in to Window Explorer configuration to make the hidden folders visible (namely AppData) and from there go down in to the Adobe Folders and clear out the Auto Recover folder, empty the trash and then restart Photoshop and it should be gone.

johnytrout

Here a lot
Thank you for your input Sean..
I have just made my hidden folders visible and went through your suggestions, but the Auto Recovery Folder is empty

SeanNeedham

Ol' Sparky
Honorary Life Member
Thank you for your input Sean..
I have just made my hidden folders visible and went through your suggestions, but the Auto Recovery Folder is empty
It may be under <drive letter>:\\Users\User\AppData\Local\Temp, if you've got a scratch disk assigned in Photoshop, it could be in there.

I don't know if it'd work under Windows as last time I touched it on Windows was pre-CS5, but it may be possible that if you right click on the document title (the tab) a context menu will open out with a some options and one of them may be (it is there on MacOS) "Reveal in System Explorer" and that should take you directly to the folder where it is loading from.

SeanNeedham

Ol' Sparky
Honorary Life Member
Haven't got a clue to where it's coming in from then if it's not in one of the default locations; you might get some answers on the Adobe forums, but I'm out of suggestions!

SeanNeedham

Ol' Sparky
Honorary Life Member
Did you try a factory reset ?
Resetting the factory preferences for Photoshop doesn't reset the auto-recover, I thought it didn't but just set the whole process up deliberately to check; it'd be a bad bit of design if by having to reset something to recover something else in the chain also destroyed whatever was trying to be recovered.

The more I'm pondering this one, the more it seems to me that the problem is outside of Photoshop, perhaps a disk permissions / file ownership error or there's a corruption in the user accounts. A temporary file shouldn't be persistent unless there was something else making it as such. At this point here, I'd be in to the terminal and running a permissions rebuild ("icacls * /T /Q /C /reset" on Windows) on the disk(s) of the machine, then manually removing the caches and auto-recover folders and letting PS rebuild them next time.

DonS

Stuck in Toronto
Nuke from orbit? Uninstall, scour the registry and drive for leftovers and reinstall?