1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

pictures (uploading)

Discussion in 'Photography & Camera Basics Forum' started by LYNN GRIFFITHS, Apr 15, 2018.

1. LYNN GRIFFITHS

LYNN GRIFFITHS Here a lot

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    hi
    i do not know if i have got the right forum page!!. could i ask anyone, that, when one uploads their pictures off the camera to their computer/laptop etc, what does one put them in? FILE ETC. i have( MY PICTURES )but at the moment i am having some confusion, because they are not appearing in there, but i suppose with patience, i will, one way or the other. thanks.

2. rebel06

rebel06 Without a cause Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    When I load my photos onto my laptop they start off on my desktop, I then rename the folder to whatever is appropriate (e.g garden birds) and then move them to my 2018 folder.

LYNN GRIFFITHS likes this.
  3. LYNN GRIFFITHS

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    hi
    when you connect the usb, or whatever you do to connect, do you get a box come up asking you to select the pics etc. hope you understand what i mean. i think i am going to have to start from scratch!!

4. oldgeezer

oldgeezer Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    If you are shooting RAW files then Windows might not recognize them or let you see them.
    There are ways to get Windows to see them, plug-it's etc.
    Also, reducing your photos for the web, just download GIMP and look on YouTube on how to reduce files for web.
    You don't have to use GIMP for anything else and it is free. You need a program that will let you reduce the file size in kilobytes not just pixel count.

5. rebel06

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    When I connect the usb a box pops up asking what I want to do, I select "open" and then I drag and drop the the image folder to my desktop and rename it as above.

6. Phill104

Phill104 Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    There are plenty of videos on YouTube that go into detail on this. Is one example of many. Best bet though is maybe ask a friend or relative who is good with computers to sit down and go through it with you. That way you Can learn based on your setup.

7. LYNN GRIFFITHS

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    i am still at it, trying allsorts, still not got it sorted, but i wont be beat!!!!

8. LYNN GRIFFITHS

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    DSC01730 (2).JPG DSC01682 (2).JPG DSC01737 (2).JPG

i know there not brilliant, but i liked the birds colorings. the bottom one i used my tripod!!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2018
  9. rebel06

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Yes and you can tell ... the tripod has given you a much sharper image

10. Tenorplayer

Tenorplayer Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I use EOS Utility (canon) . When the camera is connected, you can adjust the preferences to create a folder and sub folders so that my pics go into year, month,date folders automatically when I connect to the computer.

11. borofan

borofan Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Lynn, can you send me a private mail? I cannot seem to send you one! I possibly don't live too far away o maybe I can help!

Roger S likes this.
  12. gaelldew

gaelldew Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Lynn's not a Premium member Mike you could ask Roger to contacther.

13. borofan

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Thanks. I assume you mean @Roger S ? I will message him.

14. Roger S

Roger S Crazy Canuck Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I got the message and will forward it.

15. Roger S

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
  16. borofan

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Contact established -thanks!

17. rebel06

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Are you able to help her Mike

18. borofan

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    At the moment Lynn wants to continue to have a go herself but if she can't then she will get back to me, SHe lives about 40 miles away from me.

Roger S likes this.
  19. ImSoQuazy

ImSoQuazy Here a lot

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Hello LYNN,
    Think of a dresser in your home. Let’s take a dresser in a kids room for example…
    In this dresser (a folder) you can create your own drawers (more folders)
    Example, a drawer for sox and a drawer for t-shirts is similar to a folder for your RAW pictures (files) and a folder for your JPG pictures.
    Amazingly, you can create drawers (folders) inside of drawers! It’s pretty neat.
    Now in a different room (another folder), you may have a cabinet (folder) for other things. Say kids toys. In this cabinet you have a drawer for pencils a drawer for paper – I’m certain my now you know where this is going…
    This folder thing is simple a way to organize “your things” of relevance.
    An important to remember is the wordage!
    Upload is not the same as importing just as baking is not the same as frying. So being careful of the talk is of help, sometimes of importance. Understanding this is a piece of cake!
    Your camera brings your pictures to your computer. While importing the images you get the opportunity to decide where you place them. Here is when you get to make your folder exclusively for your images. Once you decide to classify the images you can put them in their own folders by simply creating their own folders and moving them.
    Now most of understand that LR is a monster in itself and once you get the “hang” of LR this drawer thing will be a silly thing of the past.
    Just as we identify things by size, type, and shape, right? We do it, in a similar fashion, when we save or convert an image say from RAW to JPG. Therefore we can identify them if we know where and how to look. For example, once you put a file in a folder - depending on where you’re looking from - you change the file of type to display, say, all files this way you can see all that’s in the folder.
    I hope I haven’t wasted your time.
    Kindly,
    Paul

20. kennethwfd

kennethwfd Member

Edit my images ?:
    No
    faststone.jpg View attachment 288455 I use a USB card reader and Faststone image viewer for initial viewing, which is free. Haven't found any file type it won't recognise

then to organise, folder on desktop for year, then within each shoot has its own folder - MM-DD + hint as to what shoot was, eg 2017 - 8-13Ellingham

Adobe Bridge, Camera RAW and Photoshop for editing

Of course, if another way of doing things works better for you.....

21. LYNN GRIFFITHS

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    hi paul
    well i would loke to thankyou kindly for the time you have took to reply to my question. you explained it ery well, but now i need to get them SORTED!!!!! ie: holiday, family, weddings, etc. to be truthfull i have been pretty busy this last week.

hi again paul, just noticed my spelling mistakes!!! yes, i am dog sitting our sons dog, gardening, swimming, but hopefully i will find a quite afternoon once the dog as gone home,and i will get them sorted. i will let you know how i get on. by the way, been in the garden this morning with camera AND tripod trying to catch a blue tit going into the nextbox, but not quite catching it. i had a fast shutter speed but never mind. patience will prevail. hopefully one day, when i get more experienced. thanks once again paul.

hi kenneth, thankyou, but when i click on, where it says VIEW ATTACHMENT, nothing is showing. it could be me, still getting used to the forum still.

forgot to ask, where does any of you put the folders once sorted? does any of you put them on the desktop. thanks. lynn

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2018
  22. hooferinsane

hooferinsane EXIF Seeker Super Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    If you are not using any external hard drive to store photos on, I would create a master folder to hold all the folders called photographs on the main hard drive (normally ‘C’ on most computers)

23. JAH-WAR

JAH-WAR Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    No
    If your main drive is an SSD or fairly small, I'd create the master folder on the secondary drive which usually has way more space (I've a 120 gb SSD as my C-Drive and a 2TB D-Drive). You don't want to be cluttering up your main drive unnecessarily.

24. rebel06

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    @LYNN GRIFFITHS ... I have made a folder on my desktop and called it "Photos", once I download some new photos I rename this new folder (e.g April 2018) and drag that into my folder "Photos" .... only at the end of the year do I copy them to an external drive.
    Paul

25. Roger S

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    OK people, we are getting pretty far away from the original question here. Lynne did not ask about backups, or external drives, or Adobe whatever folders. She asked where the images go when she uploads (transfers is the correct term) from the camera to the computer.

Well, Lynne, it all depends on your operating system and whatever method you are transferring files. If I were you I would pay attention to where the computer says they are going at the moment of transfer. If it's Windoze 10 there's a little bar at the bottom of your screen as they're zipping across that you should click on. That will tell you. Otherwise you should really consider taking a free course at your local library on how to operate a computer. You have to go back to the bare basics and work from there.

MikeB, LYNN GRIFFITHS and gaelldew like this.