1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Please help me choose..

Discussion in 'Photography Chat Forum' started by DigitalConvert, Oct 1, 2017.

1. DigitalConvert

DigitalConvert Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    For the record, it was
    Minor Problem who enlightened me to the lens issue

2. pauln

pauln Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I'm pretty sure it's only the 18-55mm that won't fit, the other two you have are full frame lenses (EF not EFs)

3. Haripaul

Haripaul Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    The efs lens wont work on a full frame Canon but ef lenses do, what I would do in your situation is buy the Canon you want and perhaps a mid range L lens and keep the 18-55 and 60d as a spare camera also the ef lenses work on the 60d.

pauln likes this.
  4. Minor Problem

Minor Problem Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    But the 70-300 is hardly of suitable quality to make the most of a 5DIV which was my initial point. Its a kitchen towel roll tube with comic lens glass at either end!

pauln likes this.
  5. pauln

pauln Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    No I agree it's not the best piece of glass, the op should do whatever they're happy with, if they want the canon then they have two usable lenses, if they want the Nikon then they will just have to buy a lens

6. Minor Problem

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    But very very good ones! My 36mp D800 shows uo the slightest flaws in both glass and technique so having a third more pixels over the same sized sensor can only heighten that potential.

pauln likes this.
  7. Haripaul

Haripaul Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I beg to differ Barry as I have a ef 70 - 300 and have got some quality shots on the 6d with it, the efs 75 - 300 is a different story.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  8. rcvanepps

rcvanepps New Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I first started out with Nikon which a great brand. The lenses are where it can get pricey. So keep the lenses and get a Canon body, doesn't even have to be a higher end one. Keep in the mind it's not the camera that makes a good photographer but the photographer that uses the camera to capture. Good luck!

9. Minor Problem

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I believe the op has the £99 ef 75-300 which is a horrible lens not the far superior 70-300... I just typed the wrong thing as usual.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
    Haripaul likes this.
  10. Andy 0

Andy 0 Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)

Was going to say, the 70-300 EF I always thought was quite a well-regarded lens in the price bracket, not perfect but nothing is going to be over that range.

The EF-S mentioned though is certainly a lot of flash and no substance unfortunately.

Minor Problem likes this.
  11. balami

balami Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    There's been a couple of mentions of s 70-300 EFS lens - but it doesn't exist.
    There are four 70-300 EF lenses in the range and a couple of 75-300 EF models.

12. MikeB

MikeB Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    The EOS 60D has an 18.1mp on a crop sensor (1.6x) that is equivalent in resolution to a 46mp full frame sensor (18.1 x 1.6 x 1.6).

You will be getting less sensor resolution (fine detail) going to the 5D4 (30.4mp). Of course you will be getting all of the benefits of the full frame sensor and the additional capabilities of the 5D4.

Going from the 60D to the D850 will give you the same resolution and the benefits of a larger sensor (bigger angle of view, bigger prints), and all of the additional capabilities of the D850.

For the 5D4 your two EF lenses will perform as well as they do on the 60D. Those lenses are not compatible with the D850 - you will need all new lenses.

I have both the 5D4 and the 5DSR, here is what I've experienced using high resolution cameras - higher sensor resolutions demand higher resolution lenses. You can put any EF lens on the 5D4 and it will function properly, it may even function better than ever before due to the superior AF capabilities of the 5D4.

To get the most out of the D850 one should really consider matching the lens to the camera. Of course this is what Canon and Nikon are betting their futures on - providing higher resolution (more expensive) lenses for the high resolution sensors.

If you are trying to increase the level of detail in your photos or you are wanting to produce huge prints then I recommend Nikon's D850 and all new lenses or Canon 5DSR - with the latter, the EF 100mm will work fine but the 75-300mm will be a weak link.

13. Minor Problem

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    By those terms I'd hate to think of the relative full frame equivalent of say a iphone 8 camera with a sensor size of a few millimetres. It must scale up to a good few hundred mp if you scaled it to 35mm.. It's a good job there is, as you say a lot more to it than just numbers.

14. MikeB

MikeB Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    The specs on the iPhone 8's sensor seem a bit elusive. Tech Insights reports that the pixel pitch is 1.22µm with an ISO base of 20. Compare that to your D810 having a pixel pitch of 4.87µm.

The crop factor is said to be in the range of 7.2 - so if you were to scale its sensor to full-frame size it would be about 620mp. A real monster.

Of course the image quality improves with larger pixels but the image quality achieved by the 1/2" sensor is quite impressive.

Minor Problem likes this.