1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Please help! Or God help me, I'm going to kill WordPress...

Discussion in 'What Works For You & Post Your Website Forum' started by Rob Hudson, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Rob Hudson

Rob Hudson Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Hey everyone,

So after toying around with WordPress, I realised I wanted to start over as I'd changed a few things on the theme which I could not undo. So I downloaded a plug-in to do just that. But I lost EVERYTHING! All I wanted was to restart the theme in it's original format and re-upload all my content (which I have conveniently organised on a hard drive).

Is there any way to go back? Contacting WP seems like not an option. Why is this so bloody difficult!!!!?????

2. paulmag

paulmag Always on Honorary Life Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I think more information is required from you ..what plug in.

how do you know you have lost everything

tenchy likes this.
  3. Rob Hudson

Rob Hudson Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Plugin: Advanced Reset WP

So there were at least all the standard pages set up, I think these came from my web host as there is nothing in the DNS section now - Home (front) page, About, Blog, Categories, Contact, etc

Everything has gone, the theme is completely blank and doesn't work the same way as it did before. I figured it would be easy to just restart again, but it's impossible now.

Also when I was previewing or "customizing" my page, there was an [Edit Page] tab at the top, even that has disappeared...

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2018
  4. paulmag

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    A plugin that removes all data and uploads and takes back to the basic install. what where you hoping not to lose

Featured list
    • Re-install WordPress – this option a reset makes a fresh installation of your database. Therefore, ANY data in your database will be lost
    • Re-install WordPress and clear “uploads” folder – this option a reset makes a fresh installation of your database. Therefore, ANY data in your database will be lost. There will also be completely cleared folder “uploads”
    • Post cleaning – this option is to remove posts, pages, revisions, attachments or all items
    • Delete themes – this option is to remove all of your theme except active theme
    • Delete plugins – this option is to remove all of your plugins
    • Clear “uploads” folder – this option is to clean the “uploads” folder
    • Deep cleaning – this option removes the your plugins and themes, cleared “uploads” folder and then start a re-installation WordPress!

tenchy likes this.
  5. Rob Hudson

Rob Hudson Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I was hoping to just start from the beginning with all the pages formatted according to the theme. I had no idea it would affect DNS in my web host. I've lost all the plug ins too.

6. paulmag

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    a fresh install of wordpress has a welcome page a sample post and I think a sample comment ............I delete them and create my own getting in touch with wordpress will not help you can ask your provider if they have a backup they can deploy ...............on one occasion I had my provider recover a lost database for me you need to contact your hosting company tech support for help.

Alternative is to rebuild the site

tenchy likes this.
  7. Rob Hudson

Rob Hudson Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I have done that in the hope that could be an option! It's just weird, when I first installed the theme, there were five set up pages and they were a great base for me. Now they've all disappeared and nothing is formatting properly. I literally just want to launch my Mac down the garden.

8. paulmag

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    best of luck

tenchy likes this.
  9. Phill104

Phill104 Old Hand Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    What are you trying to achieve? What sort of site?

That Wordpress plugin is very heavy handed, and a little pointless. Better to re-install from scratch than use that tool as it rarely leaves the database as it should.

I’ve spent years supporting Joomla and Wordpress. While it is a little late for you, get yourself a free copy of Akeeba Backup. It will with just a click or two backup your entire site and database. It will create a file that allows you to quickly restore everything. This is a bit late for you I know, but in future run the backup before you do anything drastic like using a plugin that is designed to destroy.

My other suggestion is to build your site locally on your Mac and only upload it when you have it working as you wish. Life is a lot faster this way. A package such as MAMP will allow you to run a web server on your Mac for testing and building your site. You can then use Akeeba when you are ready to move your site to your hosting. It will save you a lot of frustration and a lot of time.

10. gramps

gramps Always on

Edit my images ?:
    No
    Is your site independently hosted?
    Is so does your host have a backup that you can ask to be restored?

11. Rob Hudson

Rob Hudson Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Thank you Phill!

I will definitely look into Akeeba and MAMP. Possibly Joomla too, I just find WordPress a bit too restrictive. How do I re-install from scratch? That was what I was trying to find out how to do, which led me to the plug-in. And if I reinstall from scratch, will it affect anything on my webhost cPanel, i.e. the DNS records, etc?

Cheers

12. Phill104

Phill104 Old Hand Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    DNS will not be affected. What you need to do is empty the directory where Wordpress is installed. Then in your cPanel you will have a tool, probably phpmyadmin, that will allow access,to your database. You can drop the database that currently is a bit of a mess by the sound of it.

Next, download a fresh copy of Wordpress from the Wordpress site. Using ftp upload it to the same directory your previous install was in. Then browse to the installer, full instructions are found on the Wordpress site.

Do not use any one click installer your host may provide. These are often very out of date and always contain modifications to make them work. Most plugins and other extensions are based on the geniuine package and often we see the host modified installs cause problems as a result