• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Please take care when you are after "that special shot"

Ozzie_Traveller

Old Hand
Premium Member
Fifteen years ago we lost a member of the family when he crossed the safety barrier to get a better shot of the ocean cliffs - and was found the next day at the bottom of a 300ft fall, still with his 2 cameras around his neck

Today in the news is the following

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Minor Problem

Always on
Premium Member
I definitely am one who probably gets a little too close to the edge to get the shot, clambering up and down cliffs and screen slopes in search if the perfect angle. I was standing on the edge of a cliff last weekend looking left and right hoping the the part I was standing on was overhanging less than the other areas I could see. A very sobering thought that the worst does indeed happen. Sorry for your past loss Phil.

Skyshot

It's not just slipping or tripping that puts people over cliffs, it can quite often be the wind.

I don't get to climb many cliffs now, but many years ago I used to fly hang gliders. We used to fly cliffs regularly and to be able to stay airborne there had to be quite a stiff breeze blowing against the cliff to generate an updraft.

What inexperienced people didn't realise is that the wind will 'rotor' or reverse direction on some parts of the cliff, so you can be walking along with the cliffs on your right-hand side and the wind blowing from the right, but at a certain point on the cliff, this direction can suddenly change and push you over the edge.

In the seventies, quite a few people died before it became well known - sadly, it's mainly pilots that are aware of this phenomenon so people still get caught out.