1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Portrait of Humanity photography prize entries – in pictures

Discussion in 'Photography News Forum' started by Mike Singh, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Mike Singh

Mike Singh Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
  2. Pteranadon

Pteranadon Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    When I clicked, I thought I was going to see something different in the aspect of the portraying humanity.
    I cannot recall the name of the female photographer here in the US, I lean more her ways...she has passed on btw. She may have done her work in the sixties?
    She was very good at capturing your average people, on an average day, doing what they do. All sorts of ways of life.
    If I come up with her name, I will come back with it.
    Other than that, I agree, powerful images here.

Mike Singh likes this.
  3. ImSoQuazy

ImSoQuazy Here a lot

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Thank you for sharing this with us. Fantastic!

Mike Singh likes this.
  4. Mike Singh

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Is she Vivian Mayer?

5. Lindsay Pennell

Lindsay Pennell Member Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    To be honest, I was very underwhelmed by most of those images. Yes they were technically proficient, some really did tell a story, but quite a few were not at all what I would have expected under that heading. Maybe it's all in the interpretation of the brief, but for me, an image portraying humanity should tell a story about the relationship between man and his/her environment or other people; quite a few of these images just showed me a portrait of a person who looks a bit different to norms.

Mike Singh likes this.
  6. Pteranadon

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    No. And I might have gotten the time wrong?

Mike Singh likes this.
  7. Mike Singh

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Well ''Humanity'' has such wide interpretation. I does not all have to be about human suffering and refugees. Some happy and positive images are welcome.

8. Pteranadon

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I would have to agree, however the premise of the word deals with civility and in most cases deals with two groups.
    Occupation had alot to do with the two groups and within the combined group, civil matters "erupt."
    Humanity is the collage of groups dealing life in a "humane" manner.
    Most subconsciously see one suffering a bitter root rather the consequences of non conformity. There for, a humane approach.
    A conundrum of sort, as we all have been raised to believe that there is a "force" much bigger than all humanity.

I was asked once, and I still haven't come up with an answer...

When did humanity begin?

Mike Singh likes this.
  9. Mike Singh

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Great question. I saw a recent post about an archaeological find of human skulls. Both adult twins had holes drilled into their skills as part of an ancient form of brain surgery. It was obvious despite their disabilities they were well cared for such that they grew into adults. For humans, ''humanity'' developed a long time ago. Even in the animal kingdom, animals care for their sick ones.

I found the post.
    https://www.haaretz.com/archaeology...s-ago-discovered-in-northern-israel-1.6699993

Pteranadon likes this.
  10. Lindsay Pennell

Lindsay Pennell Member Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I quite agree that Humanity does not need to be all refugees and suffering - as I said, my take is to think of Humanity as a positive thing, in more contexts than suffering. I think what differentiates a routine portrait from one exposing Humanity, is that the viewer can read a story or something else more than just "an interesting character" into it. But it's just my humble opinion. There were some striking images to be seen, and others that were very good portraits and nothing more.

Mike Singh likes this.