• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Print Resolution at less than 300DPI

Snips

Always on
I had to print a photograph today (which I posted on the forum quite a while back).

Nothing special - it's a bee on a fuschia - the DPI numbers below interest me though
Bee 50607-0950 10x8 235.jpg

For a 10x8 so this would normally be a minimum of 3000px x 2400px.

The image size I printed was 1218px x 1523px and what surprised me is I couldn't tell any difference between a "full resolution" or this which is 50% of the recommended printing size. Whether this is the printer I have (quite expensive) or something else I have no idea but it's encouraging to think that I can get away with much smaller images for printing at this size and larger.

And, looked at another way, I'm selling digital copies of 1200px on the longest side for £5. This means customers can print a 7x5 for £5 instead of the £10 that I charge.

Me thinks that I should put up smaller files on to my website but here's the catch - if I upload files of 250Kb, they don't look half as good as the 1Mb files so I probably won't sell as many.

Tenorplayer

Always on
Premium Member
Might work Ed if you declare on the site that the images are only low res on the site and final file will show much more detail , as low res preview doesn't deter customers from P4M etc