• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Want Pointers Product photography

Pete Larkin

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
The son of a friend has opened up a fudge making business, and I have taken a few pictures for him. There will need to be some more, as the labels are crinkled too much, I think. Any other pointers which may help me please? Never done anything like this :oops:

Fudge1.jpg

Fudge2.jpg

Fudge3.jpg

Fudge4.jpg

Fudge5.jpg

Fudge6.jpg

Fudge7.jpg

Roger S

Crazy Canuck
Administrator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I like what you have done so far, Pete. You've got the lighting and DOF nigh on perfect. Because of the nature of the product and packaging, I think the clinkled labels are fine the way they are.

RyanB

Eye of the Tiger
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I am not the biggest fan of the packaging, crinkles are fine its the nature of the material. What I'm not enamored with is how flat the package looks, like its been squashed or there isn't a good amount of candies inside. I wonder if finding some way to make the bag stand up straight and perhaps surround it with more loose sweets might improve images like 5,6 and 7 with their nice low angle.

I really like #4, the dof is just right with everything in focus up until the furthest sweet which is just starting to go out which is good as it gives the image depth. The lighting is nice as well with the catchlights on the wrappers not overpowering, definitely my pick of the set. :)

Mike Singh

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
As above Pete. However, the position of the ribbon in 2 and 3 blocks the product somewhat.

Southern Gent

Old Hand
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
You are a glutten for punishment with all that glass and cellophane. I'd try a couple different things on lighting. First would be a light tent, they aren't expensive and give a really nice even light on the product https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1394054-REG/studio_essentials_pst24_24_pop_up_shooting_tent.html/?ap=y&ap=y&smp=y&smp=y&lsft=BI:514&gclid=CjwKCAjw_sn8BRBrEiwAnUGJDnuJauMRBnJLj_PzTUbPdXFC3m88r-xMlCK9Fv8N9KdRB5SOGhTv8BoCa9sQAvD_BwE . If that didnt kill the specular highlights my next step would be to go with cross polarized lighting http://www.josephmkitchen.com/blog/2017/10/4/cross-polarize-your-light. Finally be aware that it isn't unusual for a product shot to be a composite of many shots utizing different light and focus stacking to produce the final image.

Walter Palmer

Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
#4 works, but needs the labeling included, and probably more negative space for text.
#6 needs to shift right (losing the shadow is ok. It also needs more light overall. The shift would leave the ad text in the upper left, which is a good position for an ad.
I see potential in #1 and 2, but for an established brand probably. An ad highlighting an aspect of our product. You don't need to see the product as much in those ads. You know what a Coke is, but did you know it can make us all sing and change the world? Remember that ad? You know our chocolate; but did you know it was this sexy, sumptuous, classy?

Pete Larkin

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I like what you have done so far, Pete. You've got the lighting and DOF nigh on perfect. Because of the nature of the product and packaging, I think the clinkled labels are fine the way they are.
Thanks Roger - I actually like the crinkling to some degree, but maybe not quite as much. I'm apparently getting some flat labels and bags in the post. That means I can't eat any of the product yet :(
I am not the biggest fan of the packaging, crinkles are fine its the nature of the material. What I'm not enamored with is how flat the package looks, like its been squashed or there isn't a good amount of candies inside. I wonder if finding some way to make the bag stand up straight and perhaps surround it with more loose sweets might improve images like 5,6 and 7 with their nice low angle.

I really like #4, the dof is just right with everything in focus up until the furthest sweet which is just starting to go out which is good as it gives the image depth. The lighting is nice as well with the catchlights on the wrappers not overpowering, definitely my pick of the set. :)
Cheers Ryan - I know what you mean - #1 has been stood up against a block to make it look taller and fuller. The sweets are flat blocks in a flat bag, so that's a good area to look at - thanks.
As above Pete. However, the position of the ribbon in 2 and 3 blocks the product somewhat.
Thanks Mike, yeah, it does, doesn't it...
You are a glutten for punishment with all that glass and cellophane. I'd try a couple different things on lighting. First would be a light tent, they aren't expensive and give a really nice even light on the product https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1394054-REG/studio_essentials_pst24_24_pop_up_shooting_tent.html/?ap=y&ap=y&smp=y&smp=y&lsft=BI:514&gclid=CjwKCAjw_sn8BRBrEiwAnUGJDnuJauMRBnJLj_PzTUbPdXFC3m88r-xMlCK9Fv8N9KdRB5SOGhTv8BoCa9sQAvD_BwE . If that didnt kill the specular highlights my next step would be to go with cross polarized lighting http://www.josephmkitchen.com/blog/2017/10/4/cross-polarize-your-light. Finally be aware that it isn't unusual for a product shot to be a composite of many shots utizing different light and focus stacking to produce the final image.
Thank you William - helpful. I've actually just started construction of a light tent (and a dark tent) for that reason. I didn't know about the polarisation thing, and the focus stacking is a great idea. Being naive, this wasn't anything I thought of at the start!
#4 works, but needs the labeling included, and probably more negative space for text.
#6 needs to shift right (losing the shadow is ok. It also needs more light overall. The shift would leave the ad text in the upper left, which is a good position for an ad.
I see potential in #1 and 2, but for an established brand probably. An ad highlighting an aspect of our product. You don't need to see the product as much in those ads. You know what a Coke is, but did you know it can make us all sing and change the world? Remember that ad? You know our chocolate; but did you know it was this sexy, sumptuous, classy?
Cheers Walter. Some good ideas there to look at. I can move the products round for the next lot.

Mj224

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I am no expert, but I like #1, as it stands up and looks like a worthwhile bag of goodies. The flat ones don't. I don't think the leaves add much to the "flavour". #2 might well work with the ribbon moved, I like the ribbon colour as it royals the product (is there such a word??).

I might have played with a slightly warmer colour, the black does not do it for me in a big way. You have made a good start, the actual fudge looks yummy (alas I am a diabetic..:( ). And focus stacking is a real help I find, as when the camera is so close, overall focus is difficult or impossible...

Again, I am no expert..but good luck in your project..

Southern Gent

Old Hand
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Thank you William - helpful. I've actually just started construction of a light tent (and a dark tent) for that reason. I didn't know about the polarisation thing, and the focus stacking is a great idea. Being naive, this wasn't anything I thought of at the start!
I always found it fascinating to watch good product photographers at work. The amount of attention to details is just over the top. Here's one I've gotten several ideas from. Check out the custom shape reflectors and the extra shot adding the gold light.

Southern Gent

Old Hand
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
@Pete Larkin Also, lest you think that product photography needs a gazillion dollars worth of equipment, check out what he does on the cheap.

Pete Larkin

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I am no expert, but I like #1, as it stands up and looks like a worthwhile bag of goodies. The flat ones don't. I don't think the leaves add much to the "flavour". #2 might well work with the ribbon moved, I like the ribbon colour as it royals the product (is there such a word??).

I might have played with a slightly warmer colour, the black does not do it for me in a big way. You have made a good start, the actual fudge looks yummy (alas I am a diabetic..:( ). And focus stacking is a real help I find, as when the camera is so close, overall focus is difficult or impossible...

Again, I am no expert..but good luck in your project..
Thanks Mark - I just dropped the ribbon from a height, and shot it where it lay, but a more structured approach seems a good idea. Different colour surrounds also is a good idea.
Incidentally, I had to unwrap one piece, just so that I had an empty wrapper for the foreground, you understand...very tasty!

Pete Larkin

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
@Southern Gent - thanks again William - I'll give those both a dose of looking at, especially the cheap one:grin:!