• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Full Critique PS2021 Sky Replacement Tool

Phill104

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Just to see how well the tool works I popped out to a local spot to try something. In this case a long exposure for a moving sky, but still wanting the dead tree sharp and still. For the moving sky it was nice and windy, so impossible to get a sharp tree without some blending. So with only 15mins to shoot as I had to collect my daughter from school I picked the first composition I could find and fired off a few shots.

First at a high shutter speed with no ND filters.

Sky_Sharp.jpg

I then shot a long exposure with a 10 stop ND.

sky_blurred.jpg

I opened this shot in PS. Using the Sky select tool then selecting the inverse I deleted the tree and grass. I then used content aware fill to fill the hole the tree left and saved the resulting image

I then opened the sharp tree shot and run the sky replacement tool using the image I saved in the first step. A little crop as I like 16:9 and this is the final shot. No other editing, just a few clicks with the basic tools.

Sky_edited.jpg

This was not meant to be a stunning shot or anything, just a quick grab to see how well the new PS tools work. I am quite impressed with how well it made the selections. Not sure it is something I will do, especially as I am not really a landscape tog. Just enjoy seeing how new technology works.

Piquet

Old Hand
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I prefer the original.

Phill104

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I prefer the original.
Me too. This was more an experiment of the new toys in PS than an actual attempt at a shot.

I would be interested to know how the regular landscape togs on these forums would approach such a subject. This site has lots of windswept dead trees which in the right hands I feel could be quite photogenic. I really have little clue when it comes to this sort of subject.

Mike Singh

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Well that’s worked very well Phill. I’ll have to dig out some old files and try it.