1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

PS6 - help with editing backdrops - making background all same color

Discussion in 'Photoshop & Editing Chat Forum' started by Foxtrot, May 16, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Foxtrot

Foxtrot Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Hello, first post. I have been searching for way to do this but even though i have seen tutorials I cant seem to get the right result. I was wondering if anyone could help. I have several sets that i took a while back, i will still like to work on the pics but they are a lot of rookie mistakes on the pics.
    First I would like to get a clean white background, i know i should have flooded the background with more light when i took the picture but now is too late.
    Couple things I need help with please.
    how to get a white background, the backdrop is all over the place in grays and whites, i need to get the model out and make the background white, notice that some white light spills on her skin and also her hair making it difficult how can i accomplish this.
    also, the feet, you notice that the backdrop wrinkles on her feet/shoes on some of the pics, how do i get everything to be just a white poor floor and not look weird(wrinkles, white wood board). Any advice is much appreciated.
    I currently work with Photoshop 6 and i am pretty much a beginner.
    The images have been cropped but you guys know what i mean.

IMG_3918forum edit2.jpg IMG_3427edit forum2.jpg IMG_3912edit-forum2.jpg

Attached Files:

2. tenchy

tenchy Rain maker Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    What you need to do is not think of how you can edit them white. White backgrounds are 99% done with lighting. You have to light the model and light the background else it will never be white.
    The creases are typical with fabric as a background. Many of us use paper roll or vinyl which creases less. A hard floor underneath is much better than carpet, you will never succeed on carpet. When it it lit properly that will help reduce the appearance of the wrinkles you do get.

DonS likes this.
  3. Foxtrot

Foxtrot Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Hello, I appreciate your comment but I am looking for advice on Photoshop, the pics I am talking about are 6 years old when I was a rookie and I didn't know how to flood a background with light to have a crisp white, back then I was using flashes instead of strobes and I was using a cloth backdrop and now I use vinyl. I am looking for Photoshop advice because these pictures are already taken with the past conditions I'm trying to improve the pictures after the shoot.

4. Snips

Snips Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Here's one method:

1 - open image
    2 - copy layer (Cntrl/Cmd+J)
    3 - create new layer between original and copied layer
    4 - Press D to make foreground black and background white
    5 - Cmd/Cntrl + backspace to make your new layer white - this will be your new background layer and you will cut out the subject in step 9
    6 - Click on the top layer then Add Vector Mask (bottom right icons)
    7 - Increase the size of the image to 400%
    8 - Press B to choose a brush and make brush size 9 and quite soft - you might want to play around with this
    9 - Make sure the Mask is selected!! Start drawing around the edge. Holding the Shift key down draws a straight line from the previous point which makes this exercise quicker
    10 - when complete, change to a hard brush and drawn round the soft brush on the outside.
    11 - Press G for the bucket and click on the outer part and this will complete and cut out the subject. You can skip step 10 and click G 2 or 3 times. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

If you go wrong you can press X to reverse the brush colour to white then X again to reverse the brush colour to black.

There are many ways to skin a cat in Photoshop - choosing the wand tool can work but when it doesn't it's frustrating if you're a beginner - the above method is an easy, if laborious, way to achieve this.

It won't work around the hair though. That way is probably best using the wand tool then refining the edge and save this to a new layer with mask. Then you can use some of the methods above to fine tune the remainder.

Also, Remask 5 is a good (and free) tool to use. Free download and trial and you can renew the trial (and download) at a later date too.

This has taken me about 3 minutes:
    test.jpg

Hatter and Foxtrot like this.
  5. Foxtrot

Foxtrot Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Wow, amazing! Only 3 minutes, any tips on the hair? I will try this tonight. Much appreciated. I will try remask 5.

Snips likes this.
  6. Snips

Snips Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    No :(

Remask :)

spuriosity likes this.
  7. Foxtrot

Foxtrot Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    You should make a video on YouTube! :) if you do let me know :)
    Thank you for the information

Snips likes this.
  8. oldgeezer

oldgeezer Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    A very quick way is to set your Dodge tool to Highlights.
    set to 100% and trace around the outside of the model. Any dark areas like shadows you just go over a few times.
    Then just use the dodge tool all over the canvas.
    With such a small file it is hard to get neat edges but this is the quickest way without having to cut out the model.

Untitled-1.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

9. Foxtrot

Foxtrot Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Thank you, I will try it as well!

10. oldgeezer

oldgeezer Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    3.jpg It works with hair if you are careful.

tenchy likes this.
  11. edbayani

edbayani Active Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I put a white BG under the Image and on the image I applied layer mask brushing with sharp brush at 100 opacity. For hair I use a softer brush and about 30% opacity brushing several tines. IMG_3427edit forum2.jpg

Foxtrot and tenchy like this.
  12. Foxtrot

Foxtrot Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Thank you!! do you have a step by step, this looks amazing.

13. edbayani

edbayani Active Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    If you're familiar with layer mask, this should be easy but you must have patience doing hair. Duplicate the image and put a layer filled with white below the duplicate. Add a layer mask to the top most duplicate layer and start brushing first with a large sharp brush to remove most of the bg. Then use a smaller brush and carefully brush away the sharp edges first and when you get to the hair you can use a softer brush and 50% opacity and brush several time times to get the effect you want, and if you think the sharp areas are too sharp, you can blur the edges while still on the layer mask to soften the mask and this will not affect the image.
    After removing the bg, I added again a layer between the white bg and the image and brushed a black shadow and blurred the farthest shadow more than nearest the image. Then reduced the opacity of the shadow.