1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Purple Swamp Hen

Discussion in 'Plants, Animals & Insects Photography Forum' started by Arthur.36, Oct 22, 2018.

1. Arthur.36

Arthur.36 Well-Known Member

Edit my images ?:
    No
    I went to an area which is in the main city in our area and this wetlands is in the middle of it.
    The way it gets filled is by storm water and I think our council has got a few things right and this is one of them.
    I took my Sony A77ii with the hit and miss lens being the Sigma 70/300mm with macro slide on it with me.
    Its funny this lens as t you can be aimed in on a subject and get one good shot and the next out of focus. No idea what is wrong with it but until I can replace it I will have to keep it.
    I just looked at the 1st shot and the eye has not come out as it does on my laptop. So not sure what it is but it has to be down to the compression ratio or something like that, as it was a clear eye. Just pointing it out so comment apart from that can be said.

DSC05368.JPG
    DSC05404.JPG

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
  2. JAH-WAR

JAH-WAR Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    No
    They are both overexposed. I think the lack of image quality could be partially down to the slow shutter speed of 1/30s thus you are getting a bit of motion blur either by movement of the subject or camera shake or both.

Arthur.36 likes this.
  3. Pteranadon

Pteranadon Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I am with JAH-
    And as with the compression, pic size; as it may take away it will also put forward any mishaps.
    I have noticed afterwords on my own photos that I didn't quite get it and then going back before the compression, I've then noticed it.
    The grass should be a nice green...take a look at your histogram and you will see a big spike of white.
    Nobody is knocking on you here, just being of help!

Arthur.36 likes this.
  4. David_MC

David_MC Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Dial the exposure back a bit. A faster shutter speed would improve the image quality.

Arthur.36 likes this.
  5. Arthur.36

Edit my images ?:
    No
    I rather be told straight up then being told its a good shot.
    The shots when taken in the live view that did look really good.
    In the fresh air of the day they are not.
    I do put quite a lot down to the lens I used as its a bad lens.
    Not not the common thing of a bad tradesman blaming his tools.
    But the shots are from one part to the next so different.
    I will see if I have got some from the next time I went out with this combination as see if they get a better reaction.
    Years ago I would have been jumping up and down over the comments.
    When I learned it was people trying to correct you in a the right way I then got to listening.
    So always offer up the truth and thanks to all who have.

6. Arthur.36

Edit my images ?:
    No
    This is not an excuse but I now know what has happened as I went through some other shots.
    I like to try to keep at or about F/8 and an ISO of 100.
    But looking at these from that day the I noticed the F factor was all over the place so it seems as I was trying to get them right in the camera.
    Instead of one dial I was moving the other one and yes they still looked good in-camera but out of it the lies were there.

This is still not the setting I usually use but I think this is far more passable than the others above.
    Don't be kind either.
    DSC06531 - Copy.JPG