1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Pushing Film

Discussion in 'Film and Vintage Forum' started by Kenyon11, May 10, 2017.

1. Kenyon11

Kenyon11 Member

Edit my images ?:
    No
    Say if I were to push 100 to 400 what actually happens to the film? I understand that this will allow me to shoot things at 400iso which means that the image will be slightly more grainy. But what is the difference between pushing 100 to 400 over just shooting straight onto film which is meant to be shot at 400? Does it change anything?

Last edited: May 10, 2017
    Mike Singh likes this.
  2. Mike Singh

Mike Singh Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I think u get more contrast and grain. I just get my film developed my the pro labs!

3. Kenyon11

Kenyon11 Member

Edit my images ?:
    No
    So I get more contrast if I push 100 to 400 over using straight up 400?

4. john.margetts.ph

john.margetts.ph Well-Known Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    You cannot really compensate for less exposure by increasing development. Increasing development increases contrast rather than increasing image density.

If you do not want a high contrast negative, develop normally and accept a thin negative that should still print fine.

Shooting 400 ISO film will give better negatives than reassigning 100 ISO film to 400 ISO. The only real reason for changing the EI (technically EI rather than ISO) is if you do not have the 400 ISO film available.

Last edited: May 10, 2017
  5. Kenyon11

Kenyon11 Member

Edit my images ?:
    No
    So am I right in saying that pushing 100 to 400 will take longer to develop? and by pushing it from 100 to 400 the image would have more contrast?

6. Mike Singh

Mike Singh Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I don't know but there are a lot of pushi film enthusiasts online!

7. Nomad

Nomad Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    The film will be under-exposed, which means it will need to spend longer in the developer to get comparable negative density to a native 400asa film.

However, this density only really occurs at the bits that have half-way adequate exposure to begin with - namely, the mid-tones and highlights. The shadows will have the least converted silver halide (because they got less light), and will develop fully but still lack density, while the mid-tones and highlights, while also under-exposed, can be developed to a greater relative density than the shadows because they have more converted silver halide for the developer to work with.

This non-linear development is what results in greater contrast, which may or may not be desirable (ditto increase in grain size). The other downside is the loss of shadow detail - the under-exposure means that there is simply less there to develop, no matter how much development is given, which results in black, flat shadows with nothing to see.

Unless you specifically want the look that pushed film gives, or have no choice (no fast film, can't get an exposure otherwise, etc), there isn't really much point in doing it. In other words, if you want a negative with normal contrast and decent shadow detail, using 400asa, then use 400asa film at 400, and develop normally.

MikeB, paulmag and Mike Singh like this.