1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

question on wifi and networks

Discussion in 'The Computer Clinic Forum' started by tenchy, Dec 21, 2018.

1. tenchy

tenchy Rain maker Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I have some tedium with a laptop I use on wifi when out and about wonder if anyone knows the solution...

I use a laptop and my Surface Pro 3 tablet similtaneously online via wifi. That wifi is provided either by my phone as a hotspot or a Netgear mifi box (which is basically the same as a phone).

Every time my Surface Pro 3 (Windows 8) connects to either seamlessly, as it should, they are known and saved.

The laptop however only seamlessly connects every time to my phone. (It also works fine and seamlessly on my home wifi)
    On the netgear mifi box EVERY SINGLE DAMN TIME it comes up with the new netork detected, work/home/public blah blah blah, then spends the few minutes "setting up" after I make my selection.
    Extemely tedious.

I assume both devices (phone and mifi box) equally have dynamic IPs assigned when they go online. They both always have the same SSID and password. So WHY does the laptop dick me around on the mifi box? How can I fix it. Driving me nuts. (and remember, I can't go away and look at fluffy puppies and kittens to calm down cos they are more annoying still!! :) fluffy bunnies time...)

2. SeanNeedham

SeanNeedham Ol' Sparky Honorary Life Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    The phone and the MiFi box may have both the same SSID and password, but a computer would recognise then as different networks because the thing it'll be identifying off is the BSSID. Different thing.

However, it sounds though the laptop is not saving the network, or it's network card is misconfigured; best thing to do (unless you are still on Windows 3.1 on your laptop, and that's probably close for you!) is to wick open the settings on the Surface and have a look what the public/private properties for the network are set to are set to on there and recreate them on the laptop, also make sure that you've got the network connection on the Laptop to save the network and also check the network card configuration properties (Right Click My Computer, Device Manager and go make sure there's nothing amiss or conflictive in there) or the other thing is just to open Control Panel -> Network and Sharing, then disable the network card, wait a moment and then come back and re-enable it (dumps things like ARP, DCHP and other caches).

On later versions of Windows 10, using the network troubleshooter (right click off the icon in the systray).

That's assuming that it's computer based, it could be configurations of the routers!

3. tenchy

tenchy Rain maker Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    SSIDs on the phone and mifi are different to each other, but same as in they never change I meant :)

4. SeanNeedham

SeanNeedham Ol' Sparky Honorary Life Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Ah ok, so what I'd do there as first port of call is to remove the network connection, re-install it (and at the same time remove all entries for the network out of your networking list) and then re-create it and copy the settings adverbartim over from the other box.

It seems you've a mis-config somewhere in the chain of things.