• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Quiet

rebel06

Looking for a cause.
I find the forum really quiet for some reason, been quiet for some weeks now imo .... where have people gone, are they not taking photos or just not posting them.
Anyone got any ideas ??

Paul

Newbandit

Always on
It's just how it is sometimes. Not many people comment or take interest in things. Some subjects attract more attention than others too.

SeanNeedham

Ol' Sparky
Honorary Life Member
Sometimes some of us just run out of things to say. Photography is like a virus, it's pervasive, it's everywhere; and sometimes it does get tiring (that vid that @Newbandit put up, it does show a really valid point) and people do burn out with it.
Another thing is the time of the year; summer is over, the nights are drawing in, people are paying off their credit cards from their summer holidays, it's getting cooler each week and quite a lot of photography is seasonal and as less folk are doing things the less likely they are to be talking about it.

Personally, when I've done my 40 - 60 hours a week with a Nikon, I'm not really in the chattiest moods about work (but no-one ever knocks the door at half ten at night to ask my other half about Excel spreadsheets or formulas for the inland revenue, but they think it's cool to ask me) and I'd rather sit round knocking seven shades out of a guitar!

LYNN GRIFFITHS

Old Hand
Hi
I used to be on quite a bit with some of my pics, but we have moved house so I have been quite busy decorating and other things. I am really dying to get out and start taking pics.

Pteranadon

Always on
Premium Member
Been here, and there and shooting....a little.
Weather...time..
A day off today and out, but no sign of the sun..photos came out...drab.
I have noticed it being...slow. Things are slow around here with Wildlife- soon to be busy.

Side note- I want to stick my head into some landscape but opportunities here are few...with the flat land around me.
So- I ordered a canon (used) 10-18. $180

If things go well, I may get another "cheap' one- 24-105. $460ish.
No use spending 1k $ USD right off the bat. When diving into something "new" to me.

So, for me- time, and a little sun and subjects and I'll post more.

Snips

Always on
Not many threads or posts to chatter on so less response - a viscious circle. It's been quiet before and I'm sure it will become busier again.

I've been meaning to post for ages but sort of been too busy. Would be easy if the photos I put on my website were accepted on this forum (my pics are too big - it's not a major issue) so it's a little more effort to make another copy a day or two after I've finished editing them.

I will be posting some very soon though - just done another wedding :grin:

rebel06

Looking for a cause.
We do get many new members every week, may be we need to encourage them to post somehow.

hooferinsane

EXIF Seeker
Super Moderator
Unfortunately work has got in the way of photography for me for quite a while now , six days a week for as long as I can remember. That with perhaps looking/needing new things to photograph. Grew so many flowers this year with great plans for macro, but in the end think I have been 'macro'd' out in the past few years, and ended up taking virtually zero. Will have a photo opportunity at Comic Con at the end of the month though, and will take the cam.

Last edited:

SeanNeedham

Ol' Sparky
Honorary Life Member
I know them feelings Brian, I'm doing six days at the moment plus on call; just working through the farewell tour with the guys from the band as after 13 years they've decided that there's other things they want to go off and do, so between the studio most mornings, sleeping in the truck most weekends and six hours of physio a week there's not much time for it.
I suppose in some ways being on the final tour is a bit of a blessing as I'm music'd out (but not deciding anything yet, as there's other things that could be brewing and I want to see before I decide) and with the distinct lack of thunderstorms this year I've been looking at other things for fun; and week in front of last I was down the coast, so after doing some astro work over the water and messing around a bit with the big stopper I've still some ideas bubbling away.

Snips

Always on
This place is so quiet you could hear a pin drop...22000 members WTF?
Please excuse my chest hair falling off (Yik!! :roll:)

I’ll post here as opposed to on a newbie’s recent post containing photographs but my thoughts are reflecting also on what I’ve read on ”that” thread - incidentally, completely off subject from the original post. If I was a moderator I’d have consulted my fellow comrades and suggested moving those posts to another thread ... e.g. this one ...

There are, however, ten moderators on the forum and each post containing a photograph or two should have at least 10 comments or tips or critique or whatever in my opinion. If moderators set the example and commented on most posts, as they used to, then other members would join in too. Some moderators are just not around any longer.

This is how I found the forum when I joined in 2012(?) and if I was allowed to become a moderator I’d have set the example as well by continuing to post prolifically especially on new members’ posts. I speak as the forum’s fourth most prolific poster (and not on the cheap threads) and with the second highest number of Likes. Not wishing to boast about that but I feel ordinary members would respond much more frequently and positively if led by example by the moderators. And, to be clear, I do not want to be a moderator in the present circumstances.

When I joined it wasn’t particularly unusual to see 40-50 posts on a thread. Newcomers were encouraged to post and we had forum meets, fantastic humour on some threads, jokes, a huge variety of photographs and all sorts. It really was the best place on the internet. There were half a dozen of us who earned our money from photography who were active members. I’m the only one left.

I don’t know what the answer is but there have been a few days in the last few weeks when even I haven’t bothered checking in to see the latest gossip - because I know there isn’t any. It’s such a shame.

Roger S

Crazy Canuck
Administrator
Let's work this from my perspective for a minute.............

This place is so quiet you could hear a pin drop...22000 members WTF?
Rich, your post here was the 1,884,334th post on this forum. This is coming up on the TWO million mark. That combined with the 22,000 members means we are number one on a Google search for photography forums. We have a load of new members every day who join just to see what's going on, and than never post or post once and never return.

Many of the newcomers are desensitised by Farcebook or Twit-twit or Insta whatever where "likes" and "great pic" is the norm. One in maybe a hundred is interested in any serious critique since their normal postings on social media proves that they are the best photographers on t'interweb. All they are after are "likes".

.....newbie’s recent post containing photographs but my thoughts are reflecting also on what I’ve read on ”that” thread - incidentally, completely off subject from the original post. If I was a moderator I’d have consulted my fellow comrades and suggested moving those posts to another thread...
Edward, that one is fixed, and it's the direct result of members taking the initiative to contact Mods or Admin so we could discuss and take action.

There are, however, ten moderators on the forum and each post containing a photograph or two should have at least 10 comments or tips or critique or whatever in my opinion. If moderators set the example and commented on most posts, as they used to
Edward I'm not picking on you here, it's just that you brought up some valid points to discuss, so we will. Moderators are volunteers and as such have lives outside of the forum. They're not required to be here 24/7. They're chosen to keep an eye on posts and maintain peace here. They're not experts on every genre and are not required to have an opinion on every post here. Heck, if I spoke my mind about personal opinion of EVERY image, there would be some ticked off members attacking me for telling the truth, so I have backed off commenting for personal preservation.

It really was the best place on the internet. There were half a dozen of us who earned our money from photography who were active members. I’m the only one left.
You have your numbers a bit mixed up here. When you joined, there were a dozen or so studio photographers whose income was photography, a few journalistic photographers who earned an income that way as well as quite a few who made part time income from photography long before you gained the confidence and started out. It actually makes me proud that yourself and Jenny (as well as myself) came from that period when people joined the group wanting to learn and advance. We did and I'm extremely grateful for the professionals who were active at the time. Some still are, but sporadically.

How do we fix this? I don't know. I do notice that this thread and any others relating to how to fix the forum or lack of participation are populated by long time members and never the newcomers. Updates in the software that controls how the forum works have been a real detriment lately since many of the options we had are gone completely and not currently recoverable.

Footnote: For anyone interested in how Mods spend their time here, of the past 30 or so new sign-ups in the past 5 days, 20 of them have been researched, scrutinised, and banned before their first post ever hit the forum.....................just on the offhand chance that you give a hoot.

Kevin (ksdg01)

Here a lot
This is coming up on the TWO million mark. That combined with the 22,000 members means we are number one on a Google search for photography forums. We have a load of new members every day who join just to see what's going on, and than never post or post once and never return.
I get a different #1 when Googleing photography forum...
Untitled-1.jpg

Newbandit

Always on
Regardless of the stats, all of this results in forums of ghosts :icon_tweed:.

It's not just this place. The world is a very different place since the forum or any forum started. Images are everywhere. People have become desensitised to photography as a medium. As Roger has already said people are looking for the next dopamine hit via a "like" or "nice pic"

It's a vicious circle though. Good or bad, human nature by design requires validation and interaction.
Hey ho, It is what it is,and it's free :peace:

I will add. If the people who want to see things change...be the change. Interact and encourage the same

Last edited:

DonS

Stuck in Toronto
I get a vastly different result.

Capture.JPG

Many factors on the quietness of the forum have been mentioned already so I will not. I will remind longer term members that we have gone through slow times before.

Kevin (ksdg01)

Here a lot
The reason you all get different results is because you are using Google. Personally, I don't use anything 'Google' related on any of my PCs or gadgets - they simply can't be trusted.

If you want to know what I'm on about have a read of this: https://spreadprivacy.com/google-filter-bubble-study/
If not google, what do you use?
I don't use chrome , but instead use opera, which may be a chrome clone, I've not ever checked.
It's rather difficult to get away from microsoft, google or apple on our devices and I assume these companies manipulate/ cater information in ways that will best get pertinent advertising directly to me. After all, when something is free the real product is us, the consumer of that item.

Kevin (ksdg01)

Here a lot
Rich, your post here was the 1,884,334th post on this forum. This is coming up on the TWO million mark. That combined with the 22,000 members means we are number one on a Google search for photography forums. We have a load of new members every day who join just to see what's going on, and than never post or post once and never return.
Are likes and emoticons counted as a post?