1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Rationalising and improving my lenses

Discussion in 'Photography & Camera Basics Forum' started by borofan, Mar 14, 2017.

1. borofan

borofan Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I have a Sony A77 camera (with the A-mount) and the following lenses which I want to improve and rationalise.They have been acquired in an ad hoc way over a few years and I am unhappy with the quality of some of them particularly the 70-300mm Tamron.

I am happy to keep the primes:
    Sony DT 30mm macro f/2.8
    Minolta 50mm f/1.7
    Tamron 90mm SP Di macro f/2.8
    and the
    Tamron 11-18mm SP AF DiII f/4.5 which seems adequate for my needs.

but the zooms need improving and reducing in number:
    Minolta 35-70mm with macro facility f/4
    Tamron 55-200mm LD DiII f/4.5
    Tamron 70-300mm LD Di with macro facility f/4

I also have a set of 1.7x tele-converter tubes.

I am not convinced I would get much use of a lens with, say, a 600mm reach as I do very little wildlife photography so the tele-converter tubes would probably suffice. My main interests are landscapes, flowers, dogs and family portraits.

I was looking at something like the Sigma 24-105mm at the lower end.

I posted a similar thread about two years ago but circumstances have changed and I may well have a bigger budget once I complete selling my amateur radio gear so may be able run to £1000 in total.

Any advice/suggestions on lens choices to give me more or less the range I currently have would be appreciated.

2. SeanNeedham

SeanNeedham Ol' Sparky Honorary Life Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    That 24-105 is a very nice choice, Mike, I keep looking at one and sucking air over the teeth because I've already got it covered!

What I'd say, and would be perhaps a better bang for the currency would be go used; you can get a lot of good glass for a lot less money that way, and me personally looking at your lens kit, I'd be away with them zooms you have then looking at a 24-XXX (either an F:/4 or maybe something like the Tamron or Tokina 24-70 F:/2.8) and then back that up with a used Sigma/Tamron 70-200 F:/2.8.

Snips likes this.
  3. borofan

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Thank you @SeanNeedham. Your advice is appreciated. I will look into your suggestions. The Sigma 24-105 does get a lot of good reviews so I am very tempted by it. I would maybe like to go to 300mm at the top end so that I have a bit more "reach" and with the tele-converter I can get 500+mm should I be pushed into it!

Thanks again.

4. MikeB

MikeB Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    There is always a big difference between what one wants and what is needed and need is dictated by the kind of photography that you enjoy doing most.

You have a nice set of primes that cover (moderate) wide to short telephoto. On the prime side, consider a 20mm or 21mm lens to round out the short focal lengths - this would make a fine landscape lens. For a zoom telephoto the Sony FE 70-200mm f/4 G OSS lens seems to me to be a fine lens that will work well with a higher resolution sensor should you ever decide to upgrade to the A77R II. It is a bit higher quality and more expensive than the Sony FE 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 G OSS lens which will also work well for your present camera. I prefer the faster, better built 70-200mm lens.

The 24-105 lens is fine and would make a good travel lens, but you already have most of that focal length range covered with your primes. Other than convenience, I don't see it as providing greater depth than what you already have in primes.

Snips likes this.
  5. Ogofmole

Ogofmole Always on Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    If you are not happy with any of these lens, then you will probably never use them, instead they will just sit in the cupboard. So it might be worth getting them together and popping down to your local camera shop and see if you can do a deal on a lens that you would like.

borofan likes this.
  6. borofan

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Thanks for the thoughts. It is my understanding that the Sony FE lenses are for the Sony E-mount cameras whereas mine is an A-mount. The idea is interesting though when I am out I do not want to have to carry many lenses with me as I would have to do if I settled for the primes at the lower end of the range.

A local camera shop would be very useful!

7. borofan

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Well, for good or ill I have made a decision and taken the plunge. I have had quite a few suggestions both from here and elsewhere and have ended up with - and why do they have such a wide set of shorthand designators!!

Sony 16-50mm f/3.5-4.5 ZA VS T* DT second hand but absolutely immaculate. I ended up with this one as it was the lightest of all the ones I considered and as it will often be my walkabout lens I felt that was important too, especially at my age!

Tamron SP AF 70-200mm f/2.8 Di LD (IF) macro, brand new. I realise that this is at the opposite end of the weight spectrum but will probably always use it on a tripod.

I did not go for a 300mm as, when I looked back, I didn't use that length much.

Thanks for all your help and now to see how I get on with them.

8. Snips

Snips Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Excellent and enjoy your new lenses!

9. rebel06

rebel06 Without a cause Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Yes enjoy your lenses .. .I have the Tamron 70-200 new also .. .not had much chance to use it though yet ...

Paul

10. MikeB

MikeB Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Well done. Enjoy.

11. borofan

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Thanks to everyone. I hope I will enjoy them!!

12. DaddyG

DaddyG Here a lot Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Hope you enjoy the new lens.

13. borofan

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Thanks @DaddyG and welcome back

14. DaddyG

DaddyG Here a lot Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Thanks @borofan finding my way around again!!
    Am also going to be enjoying new lens!! Just got a Sigma 150-500, and a 35mm f/1.8 prime!! Now i just need to get pc sorted!!!

15. borofan

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Hope you (and your lad!) enjoy them!!

DaddyG likes this.