• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

RAW file to PC?

Electra

Always on
Hi All!

I'm just starting to experiment with RAW. Quick question: How do I get the RAW file to open on my PC? I've taken a photo as a RAW file and it shows in Playback on the camera but when I put the SDHC card (SanDisk Ultra 16GB) into my laptop, it doesn't show up.

I've downloaded Raw Therapee as my RAW editor. I have Corel PaintShop Pro X7 too - very good but it doesn't do RAW.

MikeB

Always on
Premium Member
The raw file has to be converted to an RGB file such as JPEG or TIFF. It may be better for you to shoot both JPEG and raw so that you can make use of the JPEG files immediately.

Raw files require conversion and post processing to look as good or better than the in-camera processed JPEGs - they require sharpening, toning, and usually adjustments to saturation to bring them in line to what you saw when you took the photos. While raw files require more work, they also provide significantly more flexibility to edit than JPEGs.

Raw Therapee is a good raw file converter and editor, however a much better one is DxO's OpticPro or PhotoLab - older versions are frequently made freely available.

For seeing raw files in Windows 10 Explorer, see here: https://www.jihosoft.com/tips/view-raw-images-windows-10.html

Electra

Always on
Hi Mike - thank you very much :)!

Yes, I know all the theory; it's the mechanics I'm having a problem with. My camera can shoot raw+JPEG but also just raw alone. The raw+JPEG shots show up on the card in the PC but I can't view the raw alone file when the card is inserted into my laptop. They do show up in the camera though in Playback mode. Can I not get the raw alone file off the card and into the PC?

Does the raw+JPEG preserve all the raw info when opened in Raw Therapee/other raw file converter?

Thanks for the link but I have Windows 7 64bit.

Snips

Always on
Perhaps download a copy of Photoshop Elements? I *think* it's available as a standalone copy as opposed to a subscription (like Photoshop and Lightroom) but I do admit that I'm a little out of my depth with this thought!

kayak

Always on
Perhaps download a copy of Photoshop Elements? I *think* it's available as a standalone copy as opposed to a subscription (like Photoshop and Lightroom) but I do admit that I'm a little out of my depth with this thought!
Elements 12 doesn't show raw files, you need Elements 13 or above. I mostly shoot in Jpeg then run them through the raw settings. I do a lot of multishots, so raw files fill my SD cards too quick. Also, my old windows 7 is too slow for large raw files now, but I hate windows 10. I would suggest buying the latest photoshop elements pack.

oldgeezer

Always on
Premium Member
Any Elements and definitely Elements 6 onwards will open RAW files.
The only thing to be aware of is that your camera is not newer than the version you have.
There are loads of RAW file software for free if you Google it.

As for getting it onto the PC , none of my card readers show up when I put SD cards in. I have no idea why and gave up years ago.
have you got a USB lead for your camera that you can use. It should recognise your camera if not the card.
as for your camera showing photos on playback, these are Jpg's not RAW files. Even when using Photoshop or Elements, as soon as you import photos from the raw editor they are no longer RAW files.
Elements is a great program and buying the latest version of 1 or 2 back you will open a world of ability for your photos.

Is it the card that isn't showing up or is it the files within the card that you can't see?

I assume you mean that when you look inside the folder you can see the thumbnails of the file but when you click on them to view it just comes up black?

If this is the case then you probably need to work out how to change your default image viewer for these file types. Probably done by right clicking on the file and choosing open with and then selecting one of the raw viewers you have downloaded.

Appologies if I have misunderstood what it is your having problems with.

Electra

Always on
Thank you very, very much indeed for all the extremely helpful replies!

Update: I've partially solved my problem! Windows Photo Gallery can't 'see' the raw files. But when I selected 'View files' after inserting the SDHC card, there they were - Bingo! So I've copied and pasted them into My Pictures, which is what I wanted to do.

@DaleBuchanan - thanks! No, you didn't misunderstand at all. 'Open with' has been part of the problem but I've sort-of sorted it.

I have FastStone Image Viewer, Irfanview, Corel and Raw Therapee. Now I just have to experiment with the editing... (Hours of fun:D!)

Thanks again to All - much appreciated! What a great forum:)!

kayak

Always on
Any Elements and definitely Elements 6 onwards will open RAW files.
The only thing to be aware of is that your camera is not newer than the version you have.
There are loads of RAW file software for free if you Google it.

As for getting it onto the PC , none of my card readers show up when I put SD cards in. I have no idea why and gave up years ago.
have you got a USB lead for your camera that you can use. It should recognise your camera if not the card.
as for your camera showing photos on playback, these are Jpg's not RAW files. Even when using Photoshop or Elements, as soon as you import photos from the raw editor they are no longer RAW files.
Elements is a great program and buying the latest version of 1 or 2 back you will open a world of ability for your photos.
Sorry, oldgeezer, but I have elements 12 on windows 7, and raw files don't open. I also have 2018 version of photoshop elements on another PC (windows 10) which is what I use if I shoot in raw.

kayak

Always on
Thank you very, very much indeed for all the extremely helpful replies!

Update: I've partially solved my problem! Windows Photo Gallery can't 'see' the raw files. But when I selected 'View files' after inserting the SDHC card, there they were - Bingo! So I've copied and pasted them into My Pictures, which is what I wanted to do.

@DaleBuchanan - thanks! No, you didn't misunderstand at all. 'Open with' has been part of the problem but I've sort-of sorted it.

I have FastStone Image Viewer, Irfanview, Corel and Raw Therapee. Now I just have to experiment with the editing... (Hours of fun:D!)

Thanks again to All - much appreciated! What a great forum:)!
I wouldn't store too many large raw files in Windows Photo Gallery on your PC. It slows it down and might crash with no warning. I'd say store large files on an external hard drive and just bring them in when you want to use them. Good luck with the editing, it can be fun. Enjoy!

oldgeezer

Always on
Premium Member
Sorry, oldgeezer, but I have elements 12 on windows 7, and raw files don't open. I also have 2018 version of photoshop elements on another PC (windows 10) which is what I use if I shoot in raw.
Here are 2 Elements 6 shots 1 using a Nikon D7000 which is not supported and the other using Nikon D80 which is supported.
The RAW editor is there but may not support your camera................

D80.jpgD7000.jpg

DonS

Stuck in Toronto
Maybe the raw files from your camera do not open in Elements 12, if your camera is newer. But Elements 12 certainly does have ACR.

Jannyfox

Hi All!

I'm just starting to experiment with RAW. Quick question: How do I get the RAW file to open on my PC? I've taken a photo as a RAW file and it shows in Playback on the camera but when I put the SDHC card (SanDisk Ultra 16GB) into my laptop, it doesn't show up.

I've downloaded Raw Therapee as my RAW editor. I have Corel PaintShop Pro X7 too - very good but it doesn't do RAW.
What camera? PaintShop Pro certainly does 'do' raw, but only if the camera you have is supported by X7. Same goes for any pp software with a raw converter (PSE, LR etc).

MikeB

Always on
Premium Member
The image you see when viewing a raw file with applications such as Windows Photo Gallery, Explorer and the like is not the raw file image but a small JPEG image that is embedded in most raw files allowing quick reviews without having to process the actual raw file. However, the image is limited in size and quality as it is only intended as a large thumbnail. Raw Therepee will convert the raw file to a TIFF allowing you to edit it in Corel Paintshop.

kayak

Always on
Here are 2 Elements 6 shots 1 using a Nikon D7000 which is not supported and the other using Nikon D80 which is supported.
The RAW editor is there but may not support your camera................

View attachment 307331View attachment 307332
Maybe the raw files from your camera do not open in Elements 12, if your camera is newer. But Elements 12 certainly does have ACR.
I was reading an adobe forum some time ago about elements 12. People were having the same problem as me with raw shots not opening on there. The answer was to buy elements 13 or above.
However, I think you're both right. I looked it up. That's something I've learnt today, thank you.