1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Re-create the light affect from a Stained Glass Window

Discussion in 'Studio Lighting Forum' started by robvasi, Jul 9, 2018.

1. robvasi

robvasi Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    This is a photo of the light from a Stained Glass window on a pillar in the Castle Cathedral in Prague.

I want to re-create this light on a small set. My set is about 4 ft wide. The light source will be about five feet from the subject.

I researched gobos and gobo projectors. The gobo projectors are intended for longer throws, 40 to 60 feet and more. Could an slide projector be used for this purpose? With the right slide of course.

120829.1602.0197.jpg

2. Minor Problem

Minor Problem Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I'd have thought if you created your own stained glass window out of coloured gel sheets and place it in front of a gridded softbox you could with experimentation recreate this effect. Otherwise create a file in photoshop made of different coloured sections and project it out of focus onto your subject.

3. robvasi

robvasi Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    My previous Experiments with gels and a softbox did not lead to satisfactory results. The gels did not have sufficient color depth to produce a vivid color. However, I did not experiment with a grid on the softox. I also experimented with rip-stop nylon. The result was a blending of the two colors, blue and yellow, into gray.

In the early morning hours, when I tend to get ideas, I remembered that I have a Kodak slide projector. Your suggestion of using gels to make a stained glass window led me to experiment with slices of gels adhered to a slide frame. I used the Kodak projector to illuminate the subject. I also followed your suggestion of making the projection out of focus.

No doubt this concept requires significant refinement. The colors on the vase I used as a subject are more vivid than in the photo I presented. The colors on the background seem to be more in line with the objective. However, these colors are more vivid than the colors on the pillar

Attached Files:

4. DonS

DonS Stuck in Toronto Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I think if you had your gels further away from the light source they would go more "out of focus" like the stained glass did on the column.

5. robvasi

robvasi Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    The distance from the projector bulb to the slide with the gel slices is a fixed distance. I experimented with moving the object and also with moving the projector lens to an out of focus position. Neither produced the same light as on the column. Not easy to reproduce on a small scale.

6. Minor Problem

Minor Problem Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I had in mind a tv projector and a digital image which you could blur and defocus.

7. robvasi

robvasi Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    You are right, of course, a digital projector is the best way to go. While I research projectors, I want to try gels.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  8. robvasi

robvasi Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    07.10.2018.0744.0001.jpg

I experimented with gels taped to plexi-glass. too much blur?

07.10.2018.0747.0002.jpg

The slide in the projector gave the best results on the vase. So, as was suggested, the best way to proceed is with a digital projector.

9. DonS

DonS Stuck in Toronto Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    That would give the same effect as I was suggesting.

10. robvasi

robvasi Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    While the results of my experiment 07.11.2018.0900.0004.jpg 07.11.2018.0904.0013.jpg 07.11.2018.0903.0012.jpg is not close to the objective, it might be of interest.

11. Roger S

Roger S Crazy Canuck Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    The results are close to what you want now, but too sharp and defining. If you use a small flash on the coloured subject it should mute the definition of the colours to what stained glass would be.

12. robvasi

robvasi Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    revised the window, photo on canvas for a background/

07.12.2018.0627.0004.jpg

13. Blofeld

Blofeld Forum Photobomber Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I think you have 2 problems, distance between window and the object the light falls on, and the size of light source and distance between light source and gels. These are what will create the soft blurred light and I think you may struggle to get the same effect without resorting to using post processing to replicate it accurately.
    I would try putting gels over an existing window and using daylight as your source, failing that I use flash, but I wouldn't shoot flash directly at the gels, I would point a large diffused flash at the wall behind the gels to bounce it and spread the light when it goes through the gels, this may help give a softer fall off.