1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Recommendations on buying a printer please

Discussion in 'Forum Printing Service & Questions Forum' started by Jenbenjen, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Jenbenjen

Jenbenjen Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I want a printer capable of producing quality prints for clients. Have had a google and read, and see that I should be looking at a 6 ink printer ideally.

Just wondered what printers other members are using and what results they are getting?

I have a budget of £250 I can spend in John Lewis, otherwise I will be a lot lower or I will have to wait longer.

Quite liked the spec on this one http://www.johnlewis.com/hp-envy-120-e-all-in-one-wireless-printer/p231901338

The canon pix a seems to have good reviews as well http://www.johnlewis.com/canon-pixma-mg6350-wireless-all-in-one-printer-black/p231820825

2. Activ8

Activ8 I made the 1,000,000 th post

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    For consistent quality Jen you really need a Dysub... Inkjets can produce fine prints but paper and ink are expensive and the cost per print varies... Also nozzles get blocked and high quality prints at A4 and bigger take ages. I have 3 Dye subs (look at photomart for HiTi and DNP) and print 6x4, 7x5, 8x6, 9x6, 10x8 and 12x8 anything bigger gets sent to a lab for processing. Cost per print is from about 8.5p 6x4 to 60p 12x8. If it is only small 6x4's you want to print look at a HiTi or a Canon Selphy which Carmen uses... The bigger Dysubs are fast I can print a 6x4 in a few seconds and a 12x8 in just over a minute. You really need to look at the costs at the print labs against having your own printer though as it can be a false economy!

Jenbenjen likes this.
  3. flipper

flipper Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Timely post Jen, I am interested to see what replies and advice come up.

4. Activ8

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Just to clarify I am not against inkjets... until recently I had some large format ones (24 inch and 44 inch wide ones) these I used for canvas and fine art prints... They were great quality but as I was not using them everyday it would cost me about £10 in ink to flush the lines after leaving them standing for a week! The smaller ones are a pain in this respect too but don't cost as much in ink. I have a good relationship with a company now about 1mile from my studio who will print my large stuff same day for me!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  5. mini_mad

mini_mad Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
  6. Jenbenjen

Jenbenjen Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I know Karl - I was hoping that something in the John Lewis store would do the job as I have the vouchers for there! :(

Looking at the Selphy David but it only prints 6x4

7. wraggtime

wraggtime Always on

Edit my images ?:
    No
    I use the Canon 9500 Jen which is A3 size, it uses 8 inks and the quality is excellent and prints monos without colour casts.

8. Garry Spight

Garry Spight Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I have the pro 1 now which is good for home printing and camera club. As Dave said you need to be printing all time to not clog nozzles.

250 isn't really a budget for a pro printer unless used. I think that would just about cover my ink cartridge replacement.

I am saving for a dye sub printer for event printing but I want 10x8 which is starting to cost loads

9. Activ8

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    The most popular size for most events seems to be 8x6 or 9x6... as these go into slip folders that are around A4 size which is what is deemed the best price/performance ratio! The Hiti P510si with wifi is good for events as from the 6inch roll media you can print 6x2 (photobooth), 6x4, 8x6 and 9x6 without media change. You can also print gloss or luster without media change too! It has a screen so no no need for a PC unless you need to adjust onsite and it can overlay watermarks. The media is around £65 but gives 660 6x4's so under 10p per print. A 6x4 takes 12s. The cost is around £1200.

Jenbenjen likes this.
  10. mywainrights

mywainrights Always on

Edit my images ?:
    No
    Jennie, TBH I've given up trying to produce high quality prints at home. Found it far too much hassle/cost, was wasting too much paper/ink getting them right. I now use a local printers who can produce me prints on demand at a cost that I couldn't even buy the paper for.

Gary

Jenbenjen likes this.
  11. Garry Spight

Garry Spight Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    That's exactly what I want mate. How is it running of genorator / battery pack ?

Can I run it off 12v batts with an inverter all built in to a custom flight case

12. Garry Spight

Garry Spight Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Also what is the wireless range outdoors. Will they be effected by radio mics ?

13. Activ8

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Yes but you will need a pure sinewave inverter. The printer takes about 300w in operation and about 20w on idle. For an outdoor event I just take the Prius! You can tap into the 300v battery and use a solar panel 2Kw inverter. The car the just switches its engine on and off by itself to top up the battery if the level drops. I can run three printers a computer and a three studio heads all from the car!

14. Garry Spight

Garry Spight Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    That's a no go as one I don't have a Prius and two no vehicles on site. I was tempted by a Selphy cause of the batt pac

15. Activ8

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    With a good inverter (less than 20% loss) a 50ah 12v battery should give you a couple of hours of printing!

16. Garry Spight

Garry Spight Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    When you say a good invertor what we looking at. Can only find sine wave not pure sine wave.

I have a gennie but going to have the same non sine wave problem.

How important is having sine wave?

The DJ for the event uses the same gennie to run his laptop PA system etc.

Will it cause damage or not ?

17. chaz

chaz Always on Honorary Life Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I got my first dye sub a while back, it is only the 6x4 Selphy but im impressed by the prints which look great matted and framed, if my budget was good i would def get a large dye sub.

18. Activ8

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    If it just says sine wave it may be pure... as long as it is not square wave or modified sine wave you should be ok! If you have a genset run it via an inline active UPS and that would do it too!

19. Scratch

Scratch Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I have an Epson Stylus Photo R3000 which whilst quite expensive to buy and run (full set of inks is around £180) produces superb results

20. mini_mad

mini_mad Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    For not much more that your £180 you should go for http://www.permajet.com/ProductGrp/PermaJet-R3000-Eco-Flo-CIS-Systems (£250 inc), use their paper too, and they have all the ICC profiles too.

21. Scratch

Scratch Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Thanks, will look into it. Seems like a much cheaper option long term.

22. PaulG

PaulG Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Hi Jen

I've got a Canon iP4700 and looking to upgrade and I'd go for an A3+ printer which I think provides flexibility.

Paul

23. GarryN

GarryN Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I'm another who has given up printing at home, I never printed much and get fed up with blocked ink cartridges all the time.

I have been looking at dye subs for a while, one day when I have enough cash I'd like one to get into event stuff.

24. Carmen

Carmen Forum Geek :) Honorary Life Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I was wondering how you were getting on with yours Chaz, glad you like it. I was talking to Mark (Demon Dad) about them at brekkie (seems so long ago!!) and he uses a little selphy too. They're great for what they are.

25. brian smith

brian smith Always on

Edit my images ?:
    No
    Eight years ago or so i purchased an epson 7600 wide format printer for £3000 plus the shiraz rip which i think cost me over £1000 plus inks at a cost of about £250 or so, I also purchased a Hotpress machine for mounting and laminating at a cost of £1000.

then spent weeks printing images, applying icc profiles and wasting loads of money on re-prints trying to get a good result,
    to cut a long story,sold the lot the following year at a great loss and from then on did what i and you should do in the first place . . . use a pro lab who's job it is to produce top quality prints at a price that you can never hope to compete with.

Just one final thing i do have dye sub printers for my event work BUT would not use them for Studio Portraits, the quality is just not the same.