• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Recommendations on cameras

carlmeyer

Hi everyone, Carl here,

After a recent 'mid-life crisis' I decided to start a new hobby. As I am brand new to photography I would love any recommendations on camera's for a newbie! I don't really have a budget at the moment so any price range will do, I just want to weigh up the pro's and con's before making my decision.

Thanks in advance!

Carl :)

Phill104

Always on
Premium Member
You will need to start by deciding what you want to get from your new hobby. Are you intending to spend a lot of time at it, what sorts of things do you want to photograph etc. For instance, it would be wrong to recommend a camera and lens suitable for wildlife when you are wanting to do street photography.

al1967

Always on
Premium Member
What are you going to shoot with it?
And it would be nice to know your budget, at least the maximum you are willing to pay.
A good starter kit can go from as low as £330 to well above £3000.

kayak

Always on
If you live near a John Lewis Department Store I suggest you go there and talk to someone in their photographic department. Canon and Nikon are still the best selling DSLR cameras, but there are many other brands (and new formats) on the market. If you're totally new to photography I wouldn't go top end in price. It's not just the camera with the kit lens that comes with it, you also have to budget for other lenses that you're likely to buy in the near future. You really need to set a price range, and trust me, you will probably go above it anyway. The reason I suggest J Lewis is because they price match. If you were to buy one from them then see it cheaper in another high street store, they refund the difference.
Another option is to pop into a local camara club one evening and talk to people there. Having said that, you will find many different opinions on what they think is best.
Jessops is also a good place to ask questions about various cameras, if you have a store near you.
As for PC World, they stock quite a few but every time I've been there to try a camera it has had a dead battery so couldn't try it first.
There are a lot of cameras on the market to choose from. Good luck! :)

Snips

Always on
Welcome to the hobby - it's a wonderful world out there just itching to be photographed!

New cameras come with the latest gadgets and programs and as such are expensive. There's nothing wrong with buying second hand especially from a dealer such as Wex or MPB if the new prices are too uncomfortable. I have a full frame DSLR camera with technology that's 11 years old. I used it for work two weeks ago and it will be used again this coming weekend. I'm not suggesting you buy one this old but some of the older cameras are becoming really good value for money.

Depending on what you end up with you might have to budget up to £100 for batteries, almost certainly a memory card, perhaps a tripod and camera bag and also some computer software.

gaelldew

Always on
Premium Member
Entirely up to you but I would suggest going second hand, if you decide you dont like it wont cost a lot of money, as Snips says Wex or MPB I've used the latter a lot and always had excellent service. I would recommend a Nikon D7100 or D7200 perhaps a bit harder learning curve plus loads of second hand lenses to choose from. If you are thinking of sticking around here why not go to this thread and introduce yourself as some like to know who they are chatting to/ helping.

Who Are You ??

MikeB

Always on
Premium Member
Basically you need to do a lot of research, come to an understanding about just what it is about photography that interests you, and gauge your motivation and financial wherewithal. Making suggestions for a camera is meaningless without that understanding and a budget.

I would rather recommend that you join a local, active camera club. Meet the photographers, see what kind of photographs they produce. Photography is about the end result - the image. There are so many ways to get there and buying a camera is only a small part of the journey.

imagesBV

With no budget Sony A7R with a standard zoom....cant imagine how you could regret that however your hobby develops

Isac

Always on
Congratulations on your decision to start doing photography. Go to the shops, try out all the different stuff and then get what floats your boat. There's not much difference between the brands these days, so it will be what your comfortable with. Good luck and I hope you enjoy your new found hobby!

agenthenry69

Hi Carl,

For my first camera I got a Nikon D5300, which was a very good first camera for the price you can get it for. I now use the Nikon D750, which other's might not see as much of a difference but it works a lot better for me.

Ozzie_Traveller

Old Hand
Premium Member
G'day Carl .... and Welcome to the forum :)

As others have mentioned above - you have heaps of choice along with heaps of prices to consider

I am going to differ from the above suggestions [of swappable-lens cameras] to suggest that you consider a fixed-lens superzoom camera - called 'bridge cameras' by some or 'superzoom' by others. These cameras are as versatile as the swappable-lens bulky / heavy jobs but they all come with a zoom lens that covers heaps of possibilities

While all the big-name camera companies make these cameras, I use and prefer the Panasonic range of superzoom cameras.

Hope this helps
Phil

carlmeyer

Thanks for your help everyone! Some great suggestions here! I actually went for a Nikon D7100 Digital SLR Camera with 18-105mm VR Lens Kit (24.1MP) 3.2 inch LCD. I'm still getting used to what all that means but I enjoy it haha

pinhole

I am going to differ from the above suggestions [of swappable-lens cameras] to suggest that you consider a fixed-lens superzoom camera - called 'bridge cameras' by some or 'superzoom' by others. These cameras are as versatile as the swappable-lens bulky / heavy jobs but they all come with a zoom lens that covers heaps of possibilities
I would also throw this into the mix. I have used a DSLR for many years now, and recently bought a Sony RX10 IV as a 'holiday' camera and am blown away by how good bridge camera's have got now. It will zoom to an equivalent of 600mm without loss in quality and the video functions (if that's your thing) are pretty full on.

The only negative I've (so far) found is the low light capabilities, that the DSLR takes over, but generally I now find myself grabbing that to go out with rather than the DSLR and wondering what lenses I'll need to carry around.

Depends on what you want really.

If you want to learn "photography" (if you see what I mean), then the DSLR is the way to go, if you want a good camera just to take good pictures and the convenience of a one size fits all, the bridge camera is the perfect mix.

MikeB

Always on
Premium Member
Thanks for your help everyone! Some great suggestions here! I actually went for a Nikon D7100 Digital SLR Camera with 18-105mm VR Lens Kit (24.1MP) 3.2 inch LCD. I'm still getting used to what all that means but I enjoy it haha
Congratulations on the new camera. There's a lot to enjoy.