1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Reducing file size and resolution after editing

Discussion in 'Photoshop & Editing Chat Forum' started by zkyevolved, Oct 22, 2016.

1. zkyevolved

zkyevolved Active Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Hi everyone! I have a question in Lightroom 6: Is it possible for me to import my images, edit them at maximum file size, and then when I'm done editing them, reduce them?

Basically, what I do is: I import the images I take onto my PC, I edit them, and make a backup copy on a few hard drives of the originals and original quality. But I'd like to keep a small version of the images on the computer for the future without having to connect the hard drive (basically, when I am on my laptop for example, to always have a smaller version of that folder available). But if I export them as a smaller version, and then delete the originals, all the modifications would be gone. I would like Lightroom to keep the edits and modifications just in case in the future I have to go back and adjust something later on.

Can I get a suggestion on how to get this workflow working?

I edit across multiple PCs (a laptop and a more powerful desktop) with Dropbox (for the catalog) and mounting a folder so they both see the same folder locally - the folders are synced via Resilio Sync through my house server, so any changes or edits on one PC are reflected on the other as well as having a backup on the server.
    Lightroom 6

Thanks!

2. steve b

steve b Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I've probably read your post wrong, but can't you just reduce the original when you've worked on it, then 'save as', put an additional letter (a for instance) after the file number and both will be saved.

3. tenchy

tenchy Rain maker Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Lightroom is perfect for this. You need to select your edits in the gallery and choose export.
    That takes you to a powerful bunch of settings, allowing you to choose a folder and all the size settings, add a watermark if desired, and I think it can even export via ftp.
    The export process leaves your originals untouched and unmoved.

4. zkyevolved

zkyevolved Active Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Yes, but what I'd like to do is retire the original files (24 megapixel photos) to a hard drive, and just keep the exported smaller versions. But those exported smaller versions don't keep the edit history, it's just a finished image. If I'd like to go back one day and edit them again or retouch something, then I wouldn't have those edits. I'd have to start again with the original image.

Basically this is my workflow:
    All images are copied to internal hard drive for work.
    Edit images.
    Export images in the quality I'd like and I do what I want with them.
    I make a copy of every image to external hard drives.
    I want to delete them from the internal hard drive and replace them with much smaller versions to be able to always keep them for reference without having to reconnect the hard drive just to see them.

But I don't want to lose the history of edits or the layers and maskings in lightroom when I delete the originals.

Since my laptop has much more limited space, I usually like to resize the images to a much smaller size (like 50%) just to be able to keep them with me, and 50% of 24mpx is much more than enough for social media or emailing. But I keep all the originals on the external hard drive.

But what can I do to keep the edits? From within Lightroom connect the external hard drive and just move the files there, and then create a smaller copy for the internal hard drive? Will that preserve all the edits for future reference?

5. tenchy

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Hmm. Not sure if you can in lightroom.
    You could for sure in photoshop, just resize and save as and you'd keep all the layers.
    The edit info in lightroom is saved in an xml side file. It might be possible to work with that if the raw file can be saved as a smaller pixel size copy

6. paulmag

paulmag Always on Honorary Life Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    You can in lightroom save xml with file

7. zkyevolved

zkyevolved Active Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Actually I just tried it, and it worked!

capture20161022124207956.png

I mounted the external hard drive as a letter I'll use on both computers.

capture20161022124736376.png

And magically all the changes are still there. So now I'll just export them as a smaller version to keep on my local hard drive.

If the external hard drive is not connected, I get this:
    capture20161022124930033.png

But, all the previews and history edits are still there!

Yay!

I'll update the original post with these findings. Maybe it could even be a guide. I'll maybe start to write one and post it!

Thanks guys!

tenchy likes this.
  8. tenchy

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Cool, nice one