1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Remote releases

Discussion in 'Photography Chat Forum' started by Phill104, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Phill104

Phill104 Active Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I recently got a Pixel wireless timer remote for some wildlife shooting. It replaced my Hama one which was frankly a pain in the Harris. The Hama shuts down after a bit to preserve battery, but only on the remote end. Restarting was slow and awkward. The receiver would switch itself on in my bag killing the batteries. The pixel is cheap, responsive and uses batteries I can actually buy in normal shops.

I also looked at the OEM devices and they were either way over priced, costing hundreds in some cases, or infra red based which is a bit useless for my needs. It did get me thinking though, are devices like this soon to be a thing of the past. With WiFi and Bluetooth common in many cameras now I cannot think of a reason why this type of device, or even wired remotes, will last. I will keep using them as my 7D2, 7D and my 5D3 don’t have WiFi or Bluetooth and I cannot see me upgrading them for some time to come. I also would rather not rely on the battery life of my iPhone as a trigger.

2. DonS

DonS Stuck in Toronto Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I would think Bluetooth will be the one coming. The newer standards of BT use very little power and still have around a 30 foot range.