1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Resizing images for forum in LR..

Discussion in 'Photography Tips, Tricks & Tutorials Forum' started by the voyager, Dec 27, 2017.

1. the voyager

the voyager Well-Known Member

Edit my images ?:
    No
    I have tried to resize at 1024 px longest side and my images look rough.

Can someone please let me know a quick way to do this.

240kb does not seem like a lot.

2. Roger S

Roger S Crazy Canuck Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
  3. DonS

DonS Stuck in Toronto Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I have a preset saved, I did not use the forum one, that does 1024 on the long edge, resizes to 243k and 240 pixels per inch.

4. MikeB

MikeB Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    @Roger S provided the fastest way, but it is not the best. I use Photoshop many others here use Lightroom. Both have excellent facilities for reducing the size of an image.

Yes, when reducing an image to 240k image quality will take a hit. It has to, you just reduced the resolution by orders of magnitude. You can exercise some control of the amount of damage by how you edit the image and how you resize it. For example, eliminating or reducing the amount of sharpening and/or sharpening only after the image was resized to the correct size can help significantly. Also, the method of interpolation (resizing) can play a role. For example, Bicubic (smooth gradients) can make a resized image less "rough" while Bicubic Sharper (reduction) can enhance existing sharpening - and you can play these against each other in a reduction process. The quality of the reduced image also depends on the image, the greater the number of edges or points of contrast the more "damage" the image will take in the resizing - images having a lot of smooth surfaces fare much better.

5. DonS

DonS Stuck in Toronto Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    The OP did ask how to do it in Lightroom. There is no control over any of that in LR.

Roger S likes this.
  6. SeanNeedham

SeanNeedham Ol' Sparky Honorary Life Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    This here is what I have my export preset set to, and I find that it doesn't cause any problems with image quality; just make sure you've got your noise reduction and sharpening applied correctly before you go to export as you could end up with images that are over-sharpened and displaying artefacts after the export process has completed.

UploadSizing.jpeg

the voyager likes this.
  7. MikeB

MikeB Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Yes, I have very limited experience using Lightroom. Though it has fewer options it has an excellent auto sharpening capability built-in but if you are having a problem downsizing without significant degradation you can still eliminate any watermarks, set the input sharpening to 0, set your output sharpening to low, and if you want to increase the quality (decrease the compression) of the image and the file size is a problem then set to a smaller image size. Sometimes it is better to have a smaller image with higher image quality.

Sharpening can double the file size of a high edge frequency image, so sharpening technique would be the first place I would look to reduce file size without over compressing.

8. ed taylor

ed taylor Super Ed Super Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Me. I resize mine in Photoshop.
    But think I will try resizing in Lightroom one of the days.

9. Paul the Painter

Paul the Painter Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I've often seen this graph in Lightroom but I cannot for the life of me fathom it out. OK, so I'm a dummy but it means nothing to me. I'm quite content to make my masterpieces as I see fit and my images are pretty good for presentation or saving.

10. JAH-WAR

JAH-WAR Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    No
    Why, he's specifically asked about LR?

11. SeanNeedham

SeanNeedham Ol' Sparky Honorary Life Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Ignore him, he's only here to tout wares...

JAH-WAR likes this.
  12. JAH-WAR

JAH-WAR Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    No
    Yeah, I reckoned that;)

SeanNeedham likes this.