• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Sad news - Thursley Common

Phill104

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
One of my favourite photography locations, Thursley Common, is currently being devastated by fire. It has been a wonderful site and many of the shots I have shared on here, such as the cuckoo shots, redstarts, dartford warblers and many insect images including the rare raft spiders. The place is a haven for reptiles too with a good number of all UK snakes including the smooth snake as well as both common and sand lizard. So it is a very special place. I can see from the video the area where the fire erupted is the most popular amongst day visitors as it is near the car park. Just last week, one family had to be stopped after trying to have a barbecue there. If it is the massive influx of people that have caused this that is very frustrating.

Grumpy John

Old Hand
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I'm so sorry to hear of the fires destroying your wildlife area Phill. Down in Australia we know only too well the destruction that fires can bring. We have just suffered one of our worst fire seasons. I know that things must seem pretty bleak right now but nature is very resilient and things will return to normal before too long.

Last edited:

Phill104

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Cheers. Sadly it is still burning today and has jumped to other patches on the site. There is a big difference in the recovery time between here and Aus. Evolution in Aus has allowed for fires, you only have to look at how many trees shed their bark to see that. I’ve seen fires in Aus first hand last time I visited the relatives, and have seen how quickly the areas affected do recover. It is bad, and on a far larger scale than we ever get, but a lot of the wildlife has evolved to cope, or would cope if it was not for the interference of humans.

The wildlife here is not used to fire, they are more adept at constant damp and cold. Most of our native trees die in a fire for instance so recovery time after a fire is decades in the making. This particular site got a large fire in 2006 and as a result a once large site for curlew had only two breeding pairs left, that was until this fire. The site is also a stronghold for our rarest snake, the smooth snake. They tend to perish in fires. The population had just begun to recover from 2006 but was still a way off.

wraggtime

Always on
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
We’ve probably past each other Phill, a lot of my local landscape shots are from Thursley, such a great place to go for sunrise, so sad it’s come to this.

Phill104

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
We’ve probably past each other Phill, a lot of my local landscape shots are from Thursley, such a great place to go for sunrise, so sad it’s come to this.
I thought I recognised one of your shots in the past. Early morning there often looks amazing, especially with a bit of mist.