1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

"Saddle Up"

Discussion in 'All Other Images Forum' started by Grumpy John, May 13, 2019.

1. Grumpy John

Grumpy John Well-Known Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    This is my most ambitious Photoshop project to date. Usually my PS work revolves mainly sharpening and simple enhancing of my images. This time I have tried to tell a story by merging the elements of two images. I had plenty of practice learning the ins and outs of the Background Eraser Tool :).
    Any feedback will be gratefully appreciated.

A scene from outback New South Wales, near Broken Hill.
    Wild Horses.jpg

Taken at the Australian Stockmans Hall Of Fame at Longreach, Queensland.
    ASHOF.jpg

The final image.

Saddle Up B-W.jpg

Mike Singh and kayak like this.
  2. Ozzie_Traveller

Ozzie_Traveller Old Hand Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    G'day mate

Works for me - and it all comes together nicely

Phil

3. kayak

kayak Old Hand

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    You did really well, but when you have a bold subject with a good outline, in this case it's the cowboy, there's an easier way to do it.

Use the Quick Selection Tool (2 down from the hand on left) to select your cowboy and all his parts. You need a steady hand for the finer parts. You'll need to use the Add and Subtract setting at the bottom.
    Once you're happy that you have the cowboy selected you can copy and paste him anywhere you choose. I usually paste the object to a new transparent blank file first and save as Photoshop PSD, PDD. Then I can go back to it anytime. To do this select Edit, Copy. Bring up a new blank transparent file and select Edit, Paste.

Or you can copy and paste straight onto another photo, in this case it's your horses.
    I pasted him onto the photo, resized him and put him where I thought he looked natural, at the same time he covers the end horse on the right hand side.
    When in Layers you'll see both boxes/layers. Right click on the layers (top right) and select Merge Visible. This brings both layers together as one image.
    To change the whole photo to mono, I selected Guided at top, then used Old Fashioned Photo in right hand menu. I chose Urban.
    You don't have to use Old Fashioned Photo. Once you merge visible you can do whatever you want with it as a single photo. Run it back through the raw settings and play around with it. I put a tint on it, but do whatever you fancy.
    Then you can resize if you need to and save as Jpeg. BUT BEFORE YOU EXIT, be sure to back-space until you see both layers in the right hand layers bar. You can then also save as Photoshop PSD, PDD, in case you want to return to it at any time.

I only did a quick job with the cowboy, it took about 10 minutes. Took a while to type all this though.

Hope you don't mind me telling you all this but I don't know what level you're at in PS.
    Wild HorsesCowboyColour.jpg

Wild HorsesWithCowboy.jpg

Wild HorsesWithCowboy...jpg

Grumpy John likes this.
  4. Grumpy John

Grumpy John Well-Known Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Thank you so much for your detailed reply, and no, of course I don't mind your input, that's what I'm here for.
    I have used the Quick Selection Tool before, but I wanted to try the Background Eraser Tool as another option (that's one on the things I like about PS, plenty of options). I used this tutorial for guidance. My biggest challenge was placing the "cowboy" in the muddy are so it would look natural and not to appear "floating" in the final image.
    I used NIK Silver Efex Pro 2 for the B/W conversion.

Thanks again for the feedback

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  5. kayak

kayak Old Hand

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I didn't know how much detail you would need. It's actually easier to show someone than it is to type out instructions. Instructions tend to be long winded when you don't know the level the person is at already. Keep at it you're doing really well.

Grumpy John likes this.