• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Save for Web (Conditional) Action CC-2020

Isac

Always on
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I had a a friend on our Aussie forum wanting to know how to "Save for Web" for 1024 pixels on the longest side with good quality AND if he could use it on portrait OR landscape. YES YOU CAN!
Here's a link to my website to download a PDF TUTORIAL (item 10) on how to create a conditional action to do just that. All of the sizes etc are adjustable to get your desired results..
I'd love some feedback if someone wants to give it a go. Cheers, Greg.

Minor Problem

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Hi Isac, how do you ensure that you get the image quality as high as possible while staying under the kb limit, i can't see a pause step to adjust the jpg quality in your actuon? I find I can get as high as 85 with a lot of my seascapes but busy landscapes sometimes I have to drop a low as 50 to get down to 244kb for uploading here? You can use a preset in Lightroom to max the image quality to get as close to a designated file size but personally I find the results from "save for web" in PS to be better.

Isac

Always on
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Hi Isac, how do you ensure that you get the image quality as high as possible while staying under the kb limit, i can't see a pause step to adjust the jpg quality in your actuon? I find I can get as high as 85 with a lot of my seascapes but busy landscapes sometimes I have to drop a low as 50 to get down to 244kb for uploading here? You can use a preset in Lightroom to max the image quality to get as close to a designated file size but personally I find the results from "save for web" in PS to be better.
Thanks for the challenge Barry. You can edit both of the portrait and landscape actions as follows:
1. Expand the action and select the line "Image Size".
2. Open the Hamburger Menu and click "Insert Menu Item...".
3. Press Alt + Ctrl + Shift + S (Option + Command + Shift + S on a Mac), then click OK.
4. You will now see "Select Save for Web menu item" under Image Size...
5. Drag the "Export" line to the trash.
Your actions should look like this: (Hot key Optional).
SH_192.jpg
When you run the "Save for Web L or P" action you will be presented with the "Save for Web" dialog box.
Select the folder where you want to save your web sized image and then adjust the JPG Quality: to the maximum size in kb that you need.
After you click "Save", the action will continue to the end.
You can have 2 action sets, one for single images and the other fir batch processing.
Just a note: The JPG quality between 40 and 100 is hardly noticeable for small web images.
Cheers,
Greg.

Last edited: