1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Scanner for up to 4x5

Discussion in 'Film and Vintage Forum' started by DwarvenChef, Dec 17, 2017.

1. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I'm setting a film scanner on top of my wish list next year. I have been wanting to get this done for years and now I'm faced with the fact I may loose them all.

Has anyone used the Epson 850 ?

What are you all using to scan up to 4x5 negs??

2. MikeB

MikeB Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    What quality scan do you require (dpi, dynamic range, bit-depth)?
    How many images need to be scanned?
    What is the purpose of the scan? (fine art archival, Web, etc.)
    What is your budget?

Only 2 types of scanners available, drum and flatbed. Drum scanners are the best and provide the highest quality scan. Flatbed can produce a good scan. Both types can be found on eBay.

You might also consider photographing the negatives using a macro lens and a high resolution sensor.

DwarvenChef likes this.
  3. Andy 0

Andy 0 Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Yes, but I never got on with film scanning, it's finicky and I'm not one to want to devote an awful lot of time to technical fiddling. Probably one for the sort who'll take a landscape for fun!

It's quite an art, you can send off for a lot or professional dust free film scans for the price of a nice DIY flatbed. I send everything off now and I'm far happier with an industrial drum scan than my own frustrating efforts with a domestic film scanner.

Forget it if you've got anything in the house which sheds fur!

DwarvenChef likes this.
  4. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Fur... I had not thought about that one... my dog produces fur babies evey week all over the house...

I have about 40 years of my own negatives and what ever my mom will give up... that I want to get backed up. With the fire and thought of loosing all my images kind of freaks me out. I'm still shooting a few rolls a month as well as about 10 sheets of 4x5 a month. My local film service charges a pretty penny per scan and forget a high quality scan if on a budget.

I want to print big, and being an eyelash counter I would want high enough rez for something in the poster size to keep it's sharpness. Of course that would require me to do my part behind the shutter.
    I'm wanting to do my own printing and currently researching printers for digital files. I don't have the space yet for a dark room with all the enlargers I'll need for the current camras I use :p
    Budget... I'm dreaming of beer on a water budget... However I get funding as I need it, I'm not wanting to go much pask $1000.00 at the moment, so no Hasselblad scanner in my future...

One thing I need to decide on is whether I want to send off the negatives and only get specific images scanned or do it all myself. I will be getting the printer next fall to print my own work for the local Art Walk (must be self printed) Wanting at least 24" to 36" prints for a few and the usual sizes for bulk stock.