• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Scanning Tips for Negs

zw82f4c

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
I use an Epson V550 with the software that's bundled with it. Every negative I scan comes out flat as anything and I have to adjust the levels quite a lot. I've previously posted a scan of the neg on here

(post #12: https://www.photography-forum.org/threads/negatives-density.128967/#post-1570252)

and have been told my negs are developed well and my issue is with my scanning technique.

Which leads me on to my question.

Can someone please advise me on good scanning techniques. Is there any software other then the bundled stuff which is better to use? What am I doing wrong? Does anyone else use this scanner and of so, what settings do you use?

Any help would be great.

Cheers

Tenorplayer

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I use epson scan and have always been pleased with it. I prefer to use the `professional mode` as it gives much greater control. There is the option to use the histogram to adjust exposure, curves and levels. I also scan in high resolution which takes longer but gives better results. I can`t remember off hand the PPI I use ( i`m on the other comp at the moment) but it`s certainly in the low thousands with negs and slides, to allow for the scaling up of images when working the pic in photoshop

zw82f4c

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
I use epson scan and have always been pleased with it. I prefer to use the `professional mode` as it gives much greater control. There is the option to use the histogram to adjust exposure, curves and levels. I also scan in high resolution which takes longer but gives better results. I can`t remember off hand the PPI I use ( i`m on the other comp at the moment) but it`s certainly in the low thousands with negs and slides, to allow for the scaling up of images when working the pic in photoshop
I use Epson Scan on professional mode also.. But all the options to edit the histogram and levels are greys out??? I normally scan at hi-res. Do you scan in 16-bit greyscale? or 8-bit?

I need to figure out how to reinstate the editing options

Tenorplayer

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I think it`s 16 bit but not greyscale, as I only scan colour negs. I`ll pop up on the other comp later and see what settings I have .

oldgeezer

Always on
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
If you have a softbox or a light box then you can photograph the negative put it in Photoshop and invert it.
Done this with negatives and photos. Never got decent anything from scans.

Tenorplayer

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Okay, belay that, I use 24bit color [sic] and 4800 res for either positive film or colour negative

Tenorplayer

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Right, after spending 20 minutes wondering why I couldn`t scan a neg, I remembered to remove the top plate for print scanning ! DOH :) ( doesn`t inspire confidence does it ? )
When you have done a preview scan, drag a box around each frame you want to edit... That should bring up the histogram window. You can edit scan settings for each frame one at a time before the full scan

zw82f4c

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
Right, after spending 20 minutes wondering why I couldn`t scan a neg, I remembered to remove the top plate for print scanning ! DOH :) ( doesn`t inspire confidence does it ? )
When you have done a preview scan, drag a box around each frame you want to edit... That should bring up the histogram window. You can edit scan settings for each frame one at a time before the full scan
So basically then I'm just altering the levels before the scan as opposed to what I'm doing now and doing it in Photoshop?

Sent from my VF-895N using Tapatalk

Tenorplayer

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
This is a scan of a 30 year old neg, picked totally at random so not a special ...initial exposure done in scan. Opened in photoshop. NR, white balance and levels only done to it. No sharpening
It is a 100% crop of the second image image which has had nothing
scan crop.jpg scan crop uncrop.jpg

Tenorplayer

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
So basically then I'm just altering the levels before the scan as opposed to what I'm doing now and doing it in Photoshop?

I just up the exposure really to get the maximum out of the darker, denser bits without blowing the highlights.. all other fixing I would do in camera raw and photoshop

Last edited:

zw82f4c

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
It looks like it has a slight blue cast over it.. Is that the neg or the scan?

Tenorplayer

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Hard to tell on a neg... but probably on the film as it`s not a recurring thing. One touch of the WB eyedropper in camera raw sorted it as you can see

paulmag

Always on
Honorary Life Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I scan my negs on my epson at 16bit greyscale for mono dpi at 4800 or near to on medium format

Tenorplayer

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Here`s one off the same strip ( look at the state of the neg haha) with the auto button pressed in epson scan. The round shape to the left of the histo. Ignore the shot quality... it was handheld through a Prinz 400mm
chopper.jpg