1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

second hand vs new for first dslr

Discussion in 'Photography & Camera Basics Forum' started by epistrophy, May 16, 2018.

1. epistrophy

epistrophy New Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Hi, sorry if you're always getting questions like this, but it seems like people here will be able to help me with this. I'm looking for a first camera on a low budget and I was thinking at first that second hand would be the way to go, so I was looking at the Canon 100D(Rebel SL1) and 700D(Rebel T5i), both of which go for around £200-£300 used on ebay (the 100D(Rebel SL1) seems slightly cheaper).

But then I was also looking at new cameras to compare prices, and the 1300D(Rebel T6) is £300 new with a 18-55mm lens. Since the specs seem relatively similar, it seems like there's not a lot of reasons to go with one of the second hand ones over a new 1300D(Rebel T6).

Am I missing something - what would I get with a second hand 700D(Rebel T5i) that I wouldn't get with a new 1300D(Rebel T6)?

2. Snips

Snips Always on

Edit my images ?:
    No
    I'm not too au fait with these cameras but never worry about buying second hand. As ever, one needs to be careful and the cheapest is usually cheap for a very good reason. It is rare to find a bargain right down at this bottom level as there is usually a catch to it.

Get off that bottom rung of the ladder in the second hand market and you do find some good deals out there. Extra costs involve batteries, camera strap, memory card and so on - you could easily be spending another £50-100 just to buy these so it could be better to find a sale that includes these items too.

Good 2nd hand dealers are MPB and Wex and there are others too of course.
    https://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk and https://www.dpreview.com will also be your friends at this stage.

3. balami

balami Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    The 700D(Rebel T5i) has a vari-angle touch screen LCD, which the 1300D(Rebel T6) doesn't.

In burst mode, the 700D(Rebel T5i) is 5fps whilst the 1300D(Rebel T6) is only 3fps.

Those are the main differences.

4. epistrophy

epistrophy New Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Cool, thanks for that, and for those links Snips. Those sites look good, now I need to decide if it's worthwhile going second hand (seems like there's not a huge benefit at this price point).

5. Geeman

Geeman Active Member

Edit my images ?:
    No
    Only if you find a good deal, like a body and a couple of lenses

6. MikeB

MikeB Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Buy the camera with the features/functions important to you. For both Nikon and Canon product lines, the lower the model number the more capable the camera and the more features it has.

Buy a used camera from someone you know or a reputable vendor that offers a money-back guaranty. More important than the camera are the lenses. You will likely want to get a basic zoom lens but having a 50mm f/1.8 or 40mm F/2.8 STM or a EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM lens will provide better images.

7. khakoo

khakoo Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I believe the 1300D(Rebel T6), 700D(Rebel T5i), and 100D(Rebel SL1) all use the same sensor, but the processor in the 1300D(Rebel T6) is one generation behind the other two. The 700D(Rebel T5i) has a flip out touch-screen, which has its uses when composing at difficult angles. Canon rather annoyingly rested on their laurels with the entry-level camera sensors for a while, although it's resulted in the cheapest starting point for DSLR buyers on a tight budget. During a financially stretched period I managed with a 700D(Rebel T5i) and the only real issue I have with these models is they aren't great in low light, finding ISO 1600 barely acceptable. Later models have far higher effective ISO, although sensor size generally makes the most difference (very happy with my 6D at 6400). I now use the 700D(Rebel T5i) as a loaner to friends who want to try out a "proper" camera, and have a 200D as my always-with-me. The 200D is amazingly tiny and light for a DSLR, and the 100D(Rebel SL1) is actually a few grams lighter.

I always recommend first-time buyers handle a representative sample of camera bodies from the major manufacturers, to find out which has the most comfortable and intuitive ergonomics for them. If you want to ensure the greatest support in lenses and accessories then choose either Canon or Nikon. I wouldn't get too hung up on which camera body, it'll be replaced if your interest persists. It's the lenses and system you invest in. The major choice is 1) which camera brand and 2) crop sensor or full frame.

Be cautious with private sellers, there are a lot of people deluded that they should recover most of the original price for their outdated equipment, and you have more assurance with a reputable dealer if there's a problem.

8. epistrophy

epistrophy New Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Okay, great, thanks a lot for the suggestions. I think I'll just go with a new 1300D(Rebel T6), since the benefits to going second hand seems to be minimal at this price point. And yeah, another lens is definitely next on my list. I might have a play around with the 18-55mm first though and think about the best one to go for.