1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Want Pointers Self Portrait

Discussion in 'Portrait Images Forum' started by Micky B, Dec 4, 2017.

?

Is it a worthy portrait

1. Yes

100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Micky B

Micky B Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Hey All,

I vanished for a while (not that anyone would notice) and the reason being is i got frustrated with my images i was producing and got the huff.

So i read up, learnt new things, and practised a bit more. (not sure if its paid off).

See my self portrait... Its what i was aiming for and happy with it but wondered what anyone else thought?

Also i have a few photographer friends who in my opinion *dont produce very good images* and charge clients for photo shoots of lesser quality than mine (My own opinion) i've never charged anything and tbh don't do photography to gain any money and probably never will (its a hobby i enjoy - when i get the time), however im interested to know you be happy with my quality if i charged?

Thanks in advance! MBCINEMATIC.jpg

2. GinaAnderson

GinaAnderson Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Focus looks a little soft maybe? Always difficult with self-portraits though!
    I have the same problem as you - have friends who charge for photos which (I think) are of a lesser standard than mine. However I am too perfectionist about quality to charge for my own work... YET! #2018goals

3. rebel06

rebel06 Without a cause Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Had a look back at your previous portrait in 2016 .. this is much much better... you also look like an actor but I cant put a name to it yet, so do people say your resemble ???
    Paul

4. Micky B

Micky B Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    The list of people i get told i look like is ridiculous and also funny. Personally i dont think i look like anyone but im sure interested in who you think i look like lol

Its frustrating seeing people charged for photos i personally feel aren't good enough, the main reason i don't charge is because i prefer everything to be exactly how i want it yet is more often not the case lol

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2017
  5. rebel06

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I just can't put a name to the face I have in mind .. . he is a Hollywood actor who always plays evil/sadistic parts, I can see him in a prison inmate uniform.... this is driving me crazy trying to recall.
    Oh sorry I don't mean to imply you are evil .... lol
    paul

6. Minor Problem

Minor Problem Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Ben Foster perhaps? http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0004936/?ref_=tt_cl_t6

7. Micky B

Micky B Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
  8. rebel06

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I've got it ....... John Malkovich (when he was younger of course)...... as in the movie Con Air. or Man in the iron mask.

9. rebel06

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
  10. Roger S

Roger S Crazy Canuck Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    This is really soft and not sharp at all. I'm not surprised, as it was uploaded at only 34kb. Did you by chance upload it at over the maximum forum size of 1024 pixels on the longest side? If so, the forum hardware resized it and strips out a whole lot of information to make it fit within the rules.

11. tenchy

tenchy Rain maker Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I like the image, done well, good lighting and mood. It does look a little soft on the eyes though. Beard seems pretty sharp.

Honestly? That was who I first thought of to be truthful.

12. Dean M

Dean M Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    self portraits are never easy but as stated above this is quite soft and the light isn't overly flattering making it all look a bit "beige" so to speak.. the angle doesn't do any favours as it looks like your leaning forward slightly making your head look to big for your neck shoulders ( could be down to the angle and the cut off point ). not sure if losing the top of the head works in this instance either due to the shortness of your hair ( seems to work better if there is longer hair to help frame the face ).. with some sharpening and a conversion to mono think this would work much better

13. Dean M

Dean M Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    a quick play.. and crop adjust.jpg