1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Sending file from Lightroom to Photoshop

Discussion in 'Photoshop & Editing Chat Forum' started by Jason, Mar 11, 2018.

1. Jason

Jason Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I’m curious how people get their images from LR to PS, (for those that use both bits of software in their workflow.)

Edit in LR and then click ‘edit in Photoshop’ from the menu?

Save and then open independently in PS?

If the later, what format do you save as? DNG, TIFF, PSD?

I’m asking because I’ve been struggling with banding in images for a while and, to be blunt, it’s really pi**ing me off, I’m utterly fed up with it. The issue is with the final JPEG for uploading to FlickR. I tried to save a JPEG today that had no editing done to it other than cloning out dust spots. It still looked garbage when previewing the save.

Nikon D750, sRGB RAW, 16bit for editing.

Any tips or suggestions please.?

MikeB likes this.
  2. wraggtime

wraggtime Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    No
    You are right Jason about importing from LR to PS just go to 'edit in PS'. After you have finished editing in PS simply go to 'File, Save' and the LR photo will change automatically.

Not sure about your banding issue though.

Gremlin and Jason like this.
  3. rebel06

rebel06 Without a cause Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    If I have quite a few images in LR, I tend to use Export and save the images as jpgs in a sub folder of the original folder, I then only open the ones that need to into PS ... If I only have a couple that need extra processing in PS then I do use "edit in photoshop".
    Paul

Jason likes this.
  4. Snips

Snips Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Having done right click on the image and Edit in Photoshop if you cannot see the photoshop file back in Lightroom then it's worth checking the order. Capture Time and Added Order will usually produce different results with the photoshop file at the end of the list in Capture time.

Jason likes this.
  5. MikeB

MikeB Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    1. Not sure what sRGB raw is. If you are shooting raw then the sRGB (or Adobe RGB) setting has NO affect on the file. This setting is only applied when you are producing in-camera JPEGs.
    2. Image data should be handed off to Photoshop as 16-bit ProPhpto RGB image data - this ensures that all of the image data used in Lightroom is available in Photoshop.
    3. In Photoshop, if at any time you want to confirm that you are using a 16-bit image then IMAGE-->MODE and make sure that the checkmark is at 16-bit.

4. Do NOT save out images as JPEGs that are meant to be edited in Photoshop. A Full JPEG may not have any compression but it will still have the White Balance locked in. All JPEGs have only 8-bit data depth requiring a significant loss of the original image information - this is why such an image is referred to as "cooked." JPEG2000 has a 16-bit data depth option but it is non-standard. Only save out to JPEG after ALL of the edits are complete, including downsizing and sharpening.
    5. At what point in the workflow are you seeing banding?

Jason likes this.
  6. Ramble Vision

Ramble Vision Mountain Climber Super Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    No
    What colour space do you use?

I have both LR and PS on prophoto (converted to tiff) and don't have too many issues with banding

Jason likes this.
  7. Jason

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    The problem is with the save to JPEG. Banding is sometimes visible, in sky/clouds, when saving the finished JPEG. Also, if any banding is visible then uploading to FlickR only makes it worse when they add their compression, (or whatever they do.) I was wondering if the jump over to PS from LR was causing the problem hence asking how others did this.

Tbh though, my workflow hasn’t changed. I used to beat the files from my D7100 to death at times, adjusting the exposure of skies by a huge amount with no problems at all. If anything, I edit less since getting the D750.

I think it’ll be worth digging up an old D7100 and having a play to see if I’m imagining things. It’s puzzling me though.

8. MikeB

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    As long as Photoshop is using ProPhoto RGB as its Working Color Space (the default for Lightroom) and you are continuing to work with 16-bit data depth then the transfers between the two will have no effect.

Bruce Wolfe and Jason like this.
  9. Agiledogs

Agiledogs Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    As I mentioned on my other thread only when I shot in jpg do I see banding issues with my d750. For RAW images I import into LR edit, then if more needs t be done select to edit in PS and return it to LR as a PSD (This is set in your file handling preferences in LR and editing is done with LR adjustments. I have the option then of continuing to edit in LR (all sliders reset but previous edits are in effect), From LR I export as jpg and maximize quality. To shrink files down I usually opt for size or drop the dpi fro 300 to 96dpi.

Make sure how your are exporting your files from LR as well both in dpi and format to avoid sending a 72dpi jpg into PS from LR for editing

Jason likes this.
  10. Ramble Vision

Ramble Vision Mountain Climber Super Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    No

my working theory, which is probably wrong but seems to work, having both LR and PS in the prophoto colour space ensures there is no loss of colours when transferring from one to other as they are both at the maximum. so when you are in PS you still have all coolurs available and no banding, which mitigates any banding that will happen you step down to colour space for the export.

Jason likes this.
  11. Jason

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Many thanks for the input guys. I don’t think I’m doing anything wrong with regards to editing, getting a decent finished jpeg is the problem.

12. MikeB

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Please explain your workflow for taking the image from 16-bit ProPhoto RGB to 8-bit sRGB. Does the issue happen to all of your conversions? Or just those that you have to provide high compression? Please provide an example image and include a complete EXIF.

13. Jason

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    After editing, sharpen and then save as jpeg. I've tried 'save as Jpeg' and 'save for web' both with similar results. I dont resize as I use FlickR to store the full size Jpeg. Maybe that's an issue? It's not every image. I don't recall having this problem with my D7100.

I'm on 3 x 12 hour shifts from today so won't get to the IMac before the weekend to upload samples.

Thanks again.

14. Agiledogs

Agiledogs Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Are you performing your save from LR or PS?

15. Jason

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    When you send over to PS is 16bit automatically selected in Photoshop or do you need to select it yourself? Mine show as 8bit when loaded into PS. I have to change to 16bit manually. Is this the norm even when the file imported into PS is 16bit?

PS.

16. MikeB

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Here is your problem. Photoshop takes in whatever size image is sent to it from 8-bit to 32-bit, there is no Photoshop setting required to have it accept 16-bit images. Somewhere in your Lightroom workflow the image is being downsized to an 8-bit image. I thought this could only occur in "Output" but I rarely use Lightroom so someone else will need to suss out where things went off the rails. I also thought that when you send the image to Photoshop using the PHOTO-->EDIT IN ADOBE PHOTOSHOP that Lightroom was passing a 16-bit ProPhoto RGB image to Photoshop as an Object.

Changing an 8-bit image to 16-bits does nothing to recover the image data already lost by it being converted from its original data depth to 8-bit. All it does is add zeros to fill out the truncated data, it is only the remaining 8-bit data that defines the image. Converting it to 16-bits provides only one benefit, as calculations are performed on the data (that is what editing does) the larger data depth will ensure more accurate results and eliminate rounding errors.

I will, on occasion, edit an 8-bit image in Photoshop, Photoshop doesn't care. However I will limit the type of editing to things like cloning, color changes, downsizing, sharpening, cropping, etc. I avoid applying Curves or Levels as they can easily shift the image data so as to create banding.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    Jason likes this.
  17. Agiledogs

Agiledogs Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    When you sen to PS are you sending as jpg, tiff or psd. I always choose psd or tiff as you retain all the raw data and color. Also check the dpi for the file sent as I believe by default it select 72dpi.

You can check your settings in LR by going to the edit tab and selecting preferences.
    From that menu select the external editing preferences and PS is the top most entry for PS CC.
    That s where you set file type, color space, and bit depth of color. I use psd and 16bit color
    There is also an entry for resolution I use 300 so my images are ready for print.

Then you will export into PS as a psd file. make your ps edits and it will automatically re-import back into LR as new file. You can opt to make a copy with or without LR adjustments...I l always adjust first in LR so I send with LR adjustments

In the LR strip you will see something like DSC1000.NEF (or DNG) and DSC1000_edit.psd which is the version you edited in PS. You will be able to completely re-edit this file in LR (Though it retains all the previous settings)

Then you can export from LR and use the export dialog to set your final settings for export (quality, size restrictions etc as an jpg using sRGB)

Jason and MikeB like this.
  18. Jason

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Cheers. Plenty to investigate when I get back on the iMac. I've found a thread, via Google, elsewhere where someone else has had the same problem. If my fix is as simple as theirs then I'll be a) very pleased and b) kicking myself.!

19. Justin Case

Justin Case Well-Known Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    You have got a lot of great answers here, but a very simple thing to remind, just in case.
    Depending of your version of LR and Camera RAW, when you right click on an image in LR and choose Edit in PS, you might get a message about editing the original or a copy, in this case choose obviously a copy.
    If you don't get this message, make a copy of your RAW file before opening in PS, otherwise you will lose it

Jason likes this.
  20. Jason

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Cheers Justin.

I’m still having fun with this. The Talacre pic I posted a while back was edited solely in LR - it went nowhere near PS and is OK as far as I can see. I’ve right-clicked and sent to PS as a smart object, sent as a TIFF, exported from LR as a DNG and still, at times, the JPEG from PS is rough. Dunno, maybe I’m just expecting too much from the JPEG format. I don’t know. If not, then it’s going wrong during the transfer from LR and PS. My ACR had somehow reset its import preference to 8bit. I thought I’d cracked it when I spotted that, the potential simple fix I referred to above, but it hasn’t sorted it. I’ll plod on and see if I can get to the cause.