1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Server can't handle 20kB?

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Comments Forum' started by saxyomega90125, Nov 18, 2017.

1. saxyomega90125

saxyomega90125 Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I just tried to upload an image for my avatar and ran into a bit of a problem: no matter what I do, I always get an error telling me the file size is too large for the server.
    My initial attempt was ~180kB, which is under the forum threshold as it is but I figured maybe avatars were different, so I scaled down and down until getting that error with a 19.8kB piece of ugly and deciding something was up.
    Oh, resolution started at 500x380-something and I gave up at 310x240.
    I guess my question is, is this actually a server glitch or am I missing something?

2. Minor Problem

Minor Problem Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Avatars are tiny, somewhere around 100-120 pixels square so only work out at a few kb.

3. DonS

DonS Stuck in Toronto Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I have flagged this for follow up by the team. I have taken a look but I cannot determine what the problem is.

4. Dean M

Dean M Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    odd mine is a ful size image but auto rescaled when i uploaded it ( i think ) certainly i never shrunk it to fit!

5. tenchy

tenchy Rain maker Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Just went to change mine to see what is says and it says the following

I would try a square image. I'm mobile (literally) now so can't look further.

6. Roger S

Roger S Crazy Canuck Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I just used a full size image and it got auto rescaled. The server doesn't really care, as far as I can tell.

7. saxyomega90125

saxyomega90125 Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I forgot about this for a while, but I tried again today and it took my photo this time without any complaining. :confused:

DonS and rebel06 like this.
  8. Roger S

Roger S Crazy Canuck Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
  9. Trevor Gale

Trevor Gale Member Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Out of interest as I've often seen avatar size problems on various sites, I 'viewed image' of several of the avatars from people in this thread, and they're reported to me as JPEG images of 96 x 96 pixels (3.8kB), all. I uploaded my own picture just an hour or two ago, from a file that is originally 70.1kB and 588 x 678 pixels, clearly automatically re-sized when placed as the avatar.