• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Shingles

sibo

Always on
Any one else had it. I'm in s**t state here, feels like sunburn and some one kidney punching me with pins on there knuckles.

SeanNeedham

Ol' Sparky
Honorary Life Member
Yeah, I've had them, quite an interesting experience for me (as I was working medical at the time, and a lot of folks I'd worked with had never had it and would dismiss it just as chicken pox for adults).

I can't remember the name of the stuff I was put on, it was a mix of an anti-viral and something that reduces skin irritation, mixed with over the counter pain killers; but an old aunt recommended drinking a fair bit of water, then peeing in a clean bucket and soaking a clean cloth in the pee and then putting that over the area for a while (it has to be your own pee though). That latter bit is something I didn't try (but it does clear up chilblains and athletes foot).

paulmag

Always on
Honorary Life Member
Yeah, I've had them, quite an interesting experience for me (as I was working medical at the time, and a lot of folks I'd worked with had never had it and would dismiss it just as chicken pox for adults).

I can't remember the name of the stuff I was put on, it was a mix of an anti-viral and something that reduces skin irritation, mixed with over the counter pain killers; but an old aunt recommended drinking a fair bit of water, then peeing in a clean bucket and soaking a clean cloth in the pee and then putting that over the area for a while (it has to be your own pee though). That latter bit is something I didn't try (but it does clear up chilblains and athletes foot).

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Shingles/Pages/Treatment.aspx
zovirax ( anti viral aciclovir ) is what I was prescribed and dont infect others use your own towel apparently...attacks the nerves had incredible pain in my leg and the sore bit was on the btm of my back just where my belt sat.

Last edited:

sibo

Always on
my doc here gave me something, dont numb the pain though. I am at home for a few days just to rest my back as I travel to slough next week. Ref passing to people only if they come rub the area and I can not give shingles to people only chicken pox to those who have not had it. but dam it hurts lol.

SeanNeedham

Ol' Sparky
Honorary Life Member
One other thing to reduce the ouch on it a little, is run a bath that is about the same temperature as your skin and then go lay in it and let it go cold. Cooling the area dulls it somewhat.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Shingles/Pages/Treatment.aspx
zovirax ( anti viral aciclovir ) is what I was prescribed and dont infect others use your own towel apparently...attacks the nerves had incredible pain in my leg and the sore bit was on the btm of my back just where my belt sat.
Yeah, it was based on aciclover, and the GP wouldn't prescribe it, I only got it because I had to report infection to the Occupational Health and also one of my drinking buddies was the head doctor on the unit and he hooked me up with it.

Carmen

Forum Geek :)
Honorary Life Member
My mum had it but she was lucky she only got it in a tiny little spot on her forehead!!

I had chicken pox in the 80's but only half-heartedly I only got about 5 spots on my belly.

Jenbenjen

Always on
Mum has just had shingles really badly on her thigh and buttock - the rash is gone now but unfortunately the pain lasts for a long time afterwards - about 3 - 4 months we were told

sibo

Always on
dam Jen thaks for letting me know the length of my pain, Get your mum round here we can sit in agony together.

Jenbenjen

Always on
ah... I may be wrong.... your young (ish!) so may not last as long Steve
Postherpetic neuralgia

Postherpetic neuralgia is the most common complication of shingles. Estimates vary, but postherpetic neuralgia is thought to affect one or two people in every 10 who have shingles. The condition becomes more common with age, and affects one-third of people over 80.

Postherpetic neuralgia can cause severe nerve pain (neuralgia) that persists after the rash and any other symptoms of shingles have gone. If you have pain for more than three months after your shingles rash has gone, you may have postherpetic neuralgia.

Types of pain that can be experienced by people with postherpetic neuralgia include:

burning, aching or throbbing pain
stabbing or shooting pain
allodynia, where you feel pain from something that should not be painful, such as a very light touch
hyperalgesia, where you are very sensitive to pain
Postherpetic neuralgia may be treated with a number of different painkilling medicines.

http://www.nhsdirect.wales.nhs.uk/encyclopaedia/s/article/shingles/

DonS

Stuck in Toronto
I had it a few years ago. Mine was not too bad. I was given a huge horse pill anti-viral to take. I only took ibuprofen for any pain but it was not that bad in my case.

Gate Keeper

Here a lot
Premium Member
I had it a few years ago. Mine was not too bad. I was given a huge horse pill anti-viral to take. I only took ibuprofen for any pain but it was not that bad in my case.
Good evening Don, how are you? I am on my 7th week with the shingles in the eye on the cornea. I had a week in hospital on IV steroids and IV Acyclovir, the eyes had completely swelled and closed up. I lost sight in one eye and couldn't put the cam up to take any photos because of light sensitivity and touch sensitivity. Now it's less of a problem as I have one good eye. I am on opiates, Amitryptiline and Pregabalin at night to block the pain. Forgive me, I did a search to see if anyone else has had it? The pain is worse at night. Kenya put a block on over the counter opiates and now they are classed as controlled drugs and can only be prescribed by the hospital. I am intolerant to Ibuprofen due to a gastric ulcer in February this year. I'd like to come off the opiates but they do help with the shingles pain. Then last week my front teeth fell out after 2 implants supporting a bridge snapped and the dentist says I need to have new implants, but for now that will have to wait until I am over the shingles. I feel as though I am gummy bear with a sore head. Thank you for 'listening'.

Gate Keeper

Here a lot
Premium Member
My wife has had the vaccine and still gets it, 3+ times now... I'm lucky so far...
I am very sorry to hear your wife still gets the shingles despite having had the vaccine. Hopefully it will not return. My wife says I am
beginning to look better.

I've had the shot too, and so far, so good.................. I think.
Thank you for the feedback Roger which is most encouraging.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gate Keeper

Here a lot
Premium Member
I thought shingles was normally a one off thing like chicken pox?
Thanks Don for asking, thank you very much. Even though I have it, I am no expert. The doctor here in Nairobi, asked if I had come into contact with anyone who had Chickenpox and I had. My nephew aged 16 had it for 2 weeks in Nairobi just before Christmas. It was all over him, in his eye and his throat.

Over Christmas, I spent the week in a tent out in the bush with the dreaded man flu. In February I was admitted into hospital with a bleeding stomach ulcer. I was fully investigated with the Endoscopy and Colonoscopy, scans and a stomach biopsy for helicobacter and ca- which was negative. It was successfully treated and now this. The ulcer was unexpected and it was a shock. I am thinking it was that or it was low immunity which triggered off the shingles, I don’t know. I am looking at herbal alternatives for pain relief as I don’t like taking Paracetamol and Codeine.

If you don’t mind saying, how long was it before your pain cleared up after the Shingles rash disappeared?

DonS

Stuck in Toronto
If you don’t mind saying, how long was it before your pain cleared up after the Shingles rash disappeared?
Mine was nothing in comparison. I only had it on my neck. The pain was not too bad at any point, I do not recall taking anything other than tylenol. I did take an anti-viral medication to try to minimize the outbreak. Doctor said it was not a cure but could slow it.