1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Shutter count, does it matter

Discussion in 'Photography Chat Forum' started by biglee33, Feb 15, 2013.

1. biglee33

biglee33 Well-Known Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes
    Hi, ive been watching a great page on facebook where bargains appear every day. 5d mk2 at 800-900 etc, and everyone is obsessed with shutter count, is it really a big deal? I think my 5dmk2 has done 50,000 but what if they get to 100,000, do they need a service to reset it?
    Just curious really, i know they have a shutter life, but theres still old digital cameras kicking about that work great, same with some vintage film cameras.

thanks

2. Mark 1

Mark 1 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes
    Something I found a few days ago, check the link and scroll down, Better still heres a cut n paste.

Canon Shutter Life expectancy
    Canon does not make any boasts about shutter life in its Rebel models. I expect that the 650D's shutter durability rating is in the 50-100k range - and more likely on the low side of that range. http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EOS-Rebel-T4i-650D-Digital-SLR-Camera-Review.aspx
    Model Shutter Durability Rating
    Canon EOS Rebel T4i / 650D
    n/a
    Canon EOS Rebel T3i / 600D
    n/a
    Canon EOS Rebel T2i / 550D
    n/a
    Canon EOS Rebel T1i / 500D
    Canon EOS Rebel T3 / 1100D
    n/a
    Canon EOS Rebel XSi / 450D
    Canon EOS Rebel XS / 1000D
    Canon EOS Rebel XTi / 400D
    Canon EOS Rebel XT / 350D
    Canon EOS 60D
    Canon EOS 50D
    Canon EOS 40D
    Canon EOS 30D
    Canon EOS 20D
    Canon EOS 7D
    Canon EOS 6D
    Canon EOS 5D Mark III
    Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    Canon EOS 5D
    Canon EOS 1D X
    Canon EOS 1D Mark IV
    Canon EOS 1D Mark III
    Canon EOS 1D Mark II N
    Canon EOS 1DS Mark III
    Canon EOS 1DS Mark II

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  3. biglee33

Edit my images ?:
    Yes
    hi, thats interesting, I knew the 5d's were 150.000. But its interesting that the 1dx is 400,000. so the extra price is also longer life., even though to be fair I dont think it makes much difference. It also might be cos if you use it on 14fps your taking double the pics lol, thanks for that., But I wonder does it matter.

4. tenchy

tenchy Rain maker Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes
    I would think most people (Jenn excepted) would upgrade more often than get hear the shutter life?

5. biglee33

Edit my images ?:
    Yes
    id bet yeah. the mk2 wont do many now and its at 50,000. think il send it for a clean etc soon. nice hat photo steve in the studio section.

6. tenchy

Edit my images ?:
    Yes
    thanks Lee. I checked my most recent 5D2 images, and I am on 2750ish, so I will wear out before my camera :)

7. SeanNeedham

SeanNeedham Ol' Sparky Honorary Life Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes
    No, not really as you can get shutters replaced for not that much compared to buying a new camera.

It's what I do, as a) it would save me a minimum of about a grand a year (if I worked on shots per year over life expectancy of a shutter over price of new) and b) I get used to my cameras and whilst the next model up may be nigh on similar to the current you get used to what a camera can do, what it's capable of, what you are capable of with it and you subconsciously work in to that.

8. biglee33

Edit my images ?:
    Yes
    good point sean. some shows I take 3000 images. I do 4 shows per year, but its all at the same, time, Live driving a car steady for 200 miles is less taxing then 200 miles split over lots of journeys, its how I see it anyway lol

9. Activ8

Activ8 I made the 1,000,000 th post Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes
    Shutter mechanisms are like lightbulbs and can go anytime but I wouldn't worry about it too much. However what is interesting is that the 5Dii has a better shutter life than the 5Diii. I have had a couple go quickly on 1D series cameras, one was under warranty and one was not. From memory the fix for the 1Dsii was £400 plus vat but that was a few years ago.

I do around 30,000 actions a year on my two main bodies so even a 5Diii would last me 5 years or more! Steve... do you actually use your camera or just polish it! I think I put 2750 on the camera before I walked out the store with it!

10. SeanNeedham

SeanNeedham Ol' Sparky Honorary Life Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes
    Luckily I wan't holding a coffee when I read this bit, or I would have given the computer a shower.... One of the most common ones I hear (and makes me chuckle every time) is "I've taken X [usually less than 10k] with this camera, and it's getting old and worn out...."

11. Activ8

Activ8 I made the 1,000,000 th post Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes
    The 1Dsiii I sold a few weeks ago was the baby of the two I had and that went with around 180k on the shutter it's older brother got sold the year before with 220k on it. With an average shutter life of over 300k they will still last years in the hands of an average user... or decades in Steve's case. :)

12. biglee33

Edit my images ?:
    Yes
  13. tenchy

Edit my images ?:
    Yes
    this is true!! :)
    Though I am using the 5D2 a lot more now, and should be doing more...

14. ed taylor

ed taylor Old Hand Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes
    It will take more than a lifetime for me to get the the limit with my three DSLR,s I have ay the moment.