1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Shutter Speed

Discussion in 'Photography & Camera Basics Forum' started by Lesley1001, Feb 15, 2018.

1. Lesley1001

Lesley1001 New Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Can anyone offer any help?

I am using my partners FujiFilm Finepix S4500 as a warm up camera, whilst I start to practise a bit of basic photography, and I am attempting to learn how to use it to the best of both it's, and my abilities.

My first question, is how do I set/change the shutter speed and also how do I know what speed is best to set it at?

Is it a case of trial and error?
    Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

I tend to mainly take photo's of birds and animals, so I am hoping to try and catch some flight images. Maybe something like this that I took earlier in the week, but without the blurring:

Thank you and apologies if this has been asked before.

[​IMG]

2. rebel06

rebel06 Without a cause Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    For bird photography you could do with a shutter speed of above 1/500 sec .... you need to be in shutter priority mode "S" on the top dial, and set auto iso then the camera will chose the aperture for you.
    Paul

3. Lesley1001

Lesley1001 New Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Brilliant, thank you Paul. I will try this tomorrow when they all come in for their morning feed.

Can I ask, is it a decent camera to start practising with?

4. rebel06

rebel06 Without a cause Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I had a fuji Bridge camera (and wished I still had it) and it,s a good camera to learn on ..... there is some shutter lag (time from pressing the button to it taking the photo) so not ideal for fast moving subjects, but as they say the Best camera is the one you have with you.

Lesley1001 likes this.
  5. MikeB

MikeB Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I addition to setting the shutter speed to 1/500 to 1/1000 also set the ISO to Auto.

Lesley1001 likes this.
  6. photodiva

photodiva Here a lot

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
  7. fmw

fmw Active Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Look up the "exposure triangle" on the internet and read enough to become familiar with it. Shutter speed controls motion blur or lack of it.

8. Roger S

Roger S Crazy Canuck Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)