1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Sigma 100-400

Discussion in 'Lens Reviews Forum' started by mikew, Aug 30, 2017.

1. mikew

mikew Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Been using this lens now for a couple of months on the D500 so i thought i would give my opinion on its worth.

First thing is if you want a lens for wildlife and can handle the size and weight of a 150-600 or 200-500 then they could be a better choice for reach,those lenses are now too heavy for me.

Price is great for a lens in this range ,over £2000 for a new Nikon 80-400 and over £1800 for a new Canon 100-400, the Sigma comes in at £799,not getting involved as to if the other two are better there are a few reviews out there that answer that.

My first impression was not too big or heavy as a walk round lens,nicely made with smooth zoom operation, a few different focus range settings on the lens ( helps reduce unnecessary focus hunting in areas your not using).
    Two stabilizing modes on the lens and MF override,there are a couple of settings for customizing focus and stabilizing mode via the dock (which is extra not sold with the lens).

With the dock you can set AF fine tune at different focal lengths,not done this yet i have just tuned it at 400mm via the D500,
    While not a deal breaker for me a serious omission IMO is no tripod mount i am quiet happy to fix the Black Rapid strap to the camera and half support the lens in my cupped hand as i walk round.
    Its said the focus is slow,i cant say i find it a problem for birds in flight ect but not sure the D500 is not compensating for this as its a superb AF camera.

Now some sample images

100mm

DSC_3587.jpg
    220mm

DSC_3631.jpg
    400mm

DSC_3609.jpg

Just testing it with the Sigma 1.4 converter but the weather is against me so just the one image at the moment.

DSC_3656.jpg

Andy 0 and Rob Nelson like this.
  2. mikew

mikew Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Another reason i like Sigma lenses is they tend to work on my Nikon 1 series V2,a few sample shots from the 100-400 on the V2.

36415389372_13a0e6413c_o.jpg

36415389402_c3284a0f57_o.jpg

36415389422_c295540416_o.jpg

gramps likes this.
  3. Rob Nelson

Rob Nelson Active Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Thanks for the review,I'm considering this lens when I get some money together.

mikew likes this.
  4. MikeB

MikeB Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Small, light, with good sharpness and contrast and inexpensive. Seems like a good bargain even w/o the tripod mount.

mikew likes this.
  5. steve b

steve b Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Some great results, the pigeon in flight and the eye are tremendous shots for a lens test, that's a seriously sharp lens.

mikew likes this.
  6. Kevin Fox

Kevin Fox Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Super shots. Even though it's a pigeon, #5 is great. Something funky with the last one, maybe too much depth, it almost looks hdrish.

mikew likes this.
  7. mikew

mikew Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Thanks

The last one is typical of what can happen with the V2 in strong light.

8. mikew

mikew Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I think i will look further into the 1.4 converter on this lens,got some results today which encouraged me although the light could have been better,if i only use it for close up work i will be happy to buy it.

DSC_3886.jpg

DSC_3891.jpg

DSC_3895.jpg

DSC_3896.jpg

DSC_3874.jpg

DSC_3750.jpg

Rob Nelson likes this.
  9. gramps

gramps Always on

Edit my images ?:
    No
    Good focus on the Damsels and I really like the Cabbage White (?)

mikew likes this.
  10. Mike Singh

Mike Singh Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Nice photos. The pigeon in flight is great!

mikew likes this.
  11. mikew

mikew Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Still struggling with reach,or i should say lack of it, i really don't want to go back to a 150-600 as the weight is just too restricting for me.

Decided to do some more tests with the Sigma 1.4 converter on the Sigma 100-400, a very dull overcast day so got the ISO up to 6400 for some shots on the D500 but do need to see results in all light conditions,i know IQ will suffer but i have to decide what i can tolerate in exchange for a more enjoyable walk with the camera.

DSC_5844.jpg

DSC_5876.jpg

DSC_5879.jpg

DSC_5840.jpg

DSC_5884.jpg

Mike Singh likes this.
  12. mikew

mikew Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Final sample from the 100-400 and converter,still poor light but i feel i will go with it for now.

DSC_6014edit.jpg