• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Smart Meter

Gate Keeper

Here a lot
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I received a letter from the power company today inviting me to have a smart meter installed for free. My wife says these can be hacked into and that I should stick with the old fashioned one. The hack - true or false?

tenchy

Rain maker
Administrator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Not sure, but they are an RF noise generator! Bloody things should be illegal!

paulmag

Always on
Honorary Life Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
:)

Im still to be convinced a smart meter is actually smart and beneficial to me

Gate Keeper

Here a lot
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)

Roger S

Crazy Canuck
Administrator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I have a smart meter and have never been hacked. However one option I installed allows me 24/7 monitoring of the meter usage right on my computer. That's the only good thing I like about it.

Gate Keeper

Here a lot
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Does that mean, I will get a humming?

slipper

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I doubt it unless you have cb or amateur radio.
I have them as it saves me sending meter readings every month plus I can see how much the gas cost per hour and play with different lightbulbs and see how much they cost, seriously the only problem I heard was they can switch you off for default of payment.

Haripaul

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I've got one never been a problem for me. After a few weeks you tend to ignore it. The bills always seem accurate.

Gate Keeper

Here a lot
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)

tenchy

Rain maker
Administrator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
:)

Im still to be convinced a smart meter is actually smart and beneficial to me
Probably is for you. Not so good for anyone on the lower bands.

No you will be blissfully unaware of anything unless you are an SL or radio amateur. These along with many other devices these days render some bands unusable. And 99% of them don't comply to emissions regulations or susceptibility either.

Gate Keeper

Here a lot
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I have a smart meter and have never been hacked. However one option I installed allows me 24/7 monitoring of the meter usage right on my computer. That's the only good thing I like about it.
Thank you. During the winter just gone, I asked one of the neighbours to leave the heating on in the London flat, during a cold snap from January to March. We were in Kenya at the time. I had no idea about the running costs. I do now ;) I can see how, being able to follow useage via the internet could be handy.

Probably is for you. Not so good for anyone on the lower bands.

No you will be blissfully unaware of anything unless you are an SL or radio amateur. These along with many other devices these days render some bands unusable. And 99% of them don't comply to emissions regulations or susceptibility either.
You have thrown up facts and information I am not aware of and will have to sleep on, do research before I make a decision. Thank you all for helping me to decide :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Roger S

Crazy Canuck
Administrator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
during a cold snap from January to March. We were in Kenya at the time. I had no idea about the running costs. I do now
I did exactly that same thing last winter. I left electric heat on while I went on hols, and I could monitor the usage with my lappy just in case there was a problem. :)

Gate Keeper

Here a lot
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I did exactly that same thing last winter. I left electric heat on while I went on hols, and I could monitor the usage with my lappy just in case there was a problem. :)
Thank you Roger :)

Snips

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
It was announced today that money is being given to battery research with the ultimate aim of reducing power stations and helping the environment. Apparently China is doing this as well. It wouldn't surprise me if there is another technological advance in five(?) years and it could be, with the potential hacking into them, that smart meters are just found to be a waste of money.

They sound a little too good to be true to me.

Andy 0

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
It was announced today that money is being given to battery research with the ultimate aim of reducing power stations and helping the environment. Apparently China is doing this as well. It wouldn't surprise me if there is another technological advance in five(?) years and it could be, with the potential hacking into them, that smart meters are just found to be a waste of money.

They sound a little too good to be true to me.
Ah, that's interesting. I was listening to a crude literature review of current battery technology at the moment earlier this morning, with the broad consensus that it's pretty much as pushed as far as it'll go without having to mine for incredibly toxic or habitat destroying elements that also need very intensive processing and tricky disposal at end of life.

The chief engineer of (I believe Panasonic's battery division, but I'll check) has said essentially any talk of major breakthroughs is going to turn out to be nonsense or clever marketing - lots of it is coming from a certain character who's famous for 'developing' battery technology who's been on the verge of his breakthrough for about five years now....

Supercaps are probably more viable in the long term, but I don't think there's anything on the horizon there either.

Snips

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
That too is interesting.

For what it's worth I thought of an invention a few years ... to help with obesity as well.

Houses with chimneys would have a small wind turbine on top and this would power a battery to store the energy for the house. At the bottom would be a cable (attached to the wind turbine) and in times of no wind, then the householder could jump on their bicycle machine and power/inject energy into the battery instead of the wind turbine.

And, naturally, lose weight at the same time.

Gotta be a winner!! :D

Gate Keeper

Here a lot
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
That too is interesting.

For what it's worth I thought of an invention a few years ... to help with obesity as well.

Houses with chimneys would have a small wind turbine on top and this would power a battery to store the energy for the house. At the bottom would be a cable (attached to the wind turbine) and in times of no wind, then the householder could jump on their bicycle machine and power/inject energy into the battery instead of the wind turbine.

And, naturally, lose weight at the same time.

Gotta be a winner!! :D
I like it. We have friends who live out in the bush in Kenya and they have to rely on alternative energy resources. One of the machines they use is a bicycle which is attached to a pump and this pumps water from an underground tank for use in the showers. The water is heated via solar panels and an outside oven/fire. I have photos. It's great exercise and a winner,

balami

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
We have smart meters for gas and electricity, plus a water one which isn't fully commissioned yet.

The meters aren't telling me much that I didn't already know. Light bulbs don't use a lot of power, but kettles do. However, I did learn that it is much much cheaper for us to heat our house with our gas fire rather than the central heating.

They use the old 2G network to send data back to the supplier - amazing really, as they are tucked away in cupboards.

You can look at your daily power consumption online, and compare it week by week, month by month, year by year.

And, of course, the bills are accurate.

On balance, worth doing (as it cost nothing).

Gate Keeper

Here a lot
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
We have smart meters for gas and electricity, plus a water one which isn't fully commissioned yet.

The meters aren't telling me much that I didn't already know. Light bulbs don't use a lot of power, but kettles do. However, I did learn that it is much much cheaper for us to heat our house with our gas fire rather than the central heating.

They use the old 2G network to send data back to the supplier - amazing really, as they are tucked away in cupboards.

You can look at your daily power consumption online, and compare it week by week, month by month, year by year.

And, of course, the bills are accurate.

On balance, worth doing (as it cost nothing).
Thank you sir! I didn't realise that lightbulbs and kettle usage can be analysed. With all of these smart devices knowing our lifestyle, do you ever feel that your privacy is being invaded, or its not worth having that thought?

balami

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Thank you sir! I didn't realise that lightbulbs and kettle usage can be analysed. With all of these smart devices knowing our lifestyle, do you ever feel that your privacy is being invaded, or its not worth having that thought?
Should have mentioned, they give you a digital display unit that you can plug in anywhere and it'll tell you how much the power is costing at that moment. So you can switch items on and off to see the effect.

I've zero concerns about privacy for these meters. The supermarkets learn more about us with their loyalty schemes than any of this stuff!

Minor Problem

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I'm more than a little cynical as regards that article! Smart meters do not have the capability of overloading electrical circuits or causing gas explosions. It's a meter ffs, it doesn't regulate or change voltage or gas pressure (the gas meter does have a regulator to drip pressure but it's a mechanical device with no electrical control). A smart electrical meter cannot see what appliances you have plugged in, cannot access smart devices as it isn't attached to your home network. That's all total drivel. I'd love to know what their 'expert' actually does for a living, I'm guessing it isnt anything either engineering or electronics based!

Gate Keeper

Here a lot
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I'm more than a little cynical as regards that article! Smart meters do not have the capability of overloading electrical circuits or causing gas explosions. It's a meter ffs, it doesn't regulate or change voltage or gas pressure (the gas meter does have a regulator to drip pressure but it's a mechanical device with no electrical control). A smart electrical meter cannot see what appliances you have plugged in, cannot access smart devices as it isn't attached to your home network. That's all total drivel. I'd love to know what their 'expert' actually does for a living, I'm guessing it isnt anything either engineering or electronics based!
This is the expert .....;)
http://programme.european-utility-week.com/speakers/netanel-rubin

Minor Problem

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)

mikew

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Cant find it now but i was reading on the BBC news site that SMs are only the beginning,the government wants us to hand over control of certain appliances for discounted power prices,this would mean the power company could switch things off at heavy consumption times.
They may choose to switch your freezer or fridge off for a short time and then back on before any damage is done, offices could hand over their air conditioning control, big brother ?.