• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Some also rans.

H1ghlander

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
A mixed bag of pictures that have been languishing in Lightroom that aren't doing much other than taking up disk space. Just putting them out to bring them to an end.

Edit: although, this one is growing on me.

tree.JPG

tree-2.JPG

tree-3.JPG

tree-4.JPG

tree-5.JPG

tree-6.JPG

tree-7.JPG

Last edited:

Mj224

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
yes that first one really works well. Also like the misty last but one photo.The B/W's work well with the trees..:)

wraggtime

Always on
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
No 6 is really working for me Scott, give it a few days and I bet a few more grow on you.

Pteranadon

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
1 and 5 for me.
6...hmm. i like, but maybe if you were further to the left? Same in getting the foreground..
All great takes.

David_MC

Always on
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Gorgeous set. 1, 3 & 5 are my picks. I do agree with Marc in regards to the framing of number 6.

Pete Larkin

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
#1 - though maybe some work on the tree, and #5 for me - both have the best quality

cbarnard7

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Great set, Scott. #1 and #6 for me. I love the processing on 6 and actually like the comp as is

H1ghlander

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
Cheers folks, a right mixed bag but doubt any will be keepers. Either got better on the day or not getting an emotional click with others.

saurabh01

Here a lot
Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Love second one

the voyager

Here a lot
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
Number 2 is strongest here.
Much editing? Early morning light? Looks like an oil painting. As a landscape it's good, but if it had a Cheetah on the branch or a big black cat then you'd be winning wild life photo of the year.

H1ghlander

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
Much editing? Early morning light?
Ha....thank you. If there was a cheetah there then I wouldn't have been. ;)
Yes, lots of editing and some early morning light too, it was just beginning to burn through the mist.
Thanks.

the voyager

Here a lot
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
Ha....thank you. If there was a cheetah there then I wouldn't have been. ;)
Yes, lots of editing and some early morning light too, it was just beginning to burn through the mist.
Thanks.
Photoshop? It does look like an oil painting. Can't think of the painter now. Turner or someone else with a very English sounding name.

H1ghlander

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
Photoshop?
Lightroom for some global adjustments usually a personal preset then exported to NIK colour effex to apply a small personal tweak. This process converts the raw in to a large tiff. Once imported back to Lightroom I'll either apply another post NIK preset or some minor delicate adjustments like grads, brush work, radial filters, split toning, that sort of thing. I prefer to use personal presets, it keeps processing time down to a minimum and generally returns consistent results.
If I've inadvertently created a new preset (one that doesn't resemble the original preset used after additional adjustments) I'll save it with the appropriate name with a pre NIK moniker. Once back in Lightroom after the NIK treatment any adjustments made are saved as another preset with the same title but with a post NIK moniker. Sounds complicated but it's really not, it's a workflow which works for me. In essence this method creates two personal presets, one pre and one post NIK.
One preset does not fit all what with different lighting, subjects and conditions but all presets do have a similar theme to suit personal tastes. I never process to numbers or histograms preferring a high quality calibrated monitor, my eyes and mood at the time. Your eyes are a better judge than a bunch of numbers, red green or blue channels or wavey graphs. Don't even know what half that means. Only time I may have a squint at numbers is when print proofing before sending off to the printers.
I giggle every time I see superbly moody atmospheric images only for some dude to comment about historgrams colour channels and numbers within a range. These recommendations may well produce a better picture in technical terms but generally strip away mood, emotion and atmosphere. Elements critical to a successful picture along with composition IMO.
Have a good weekend. :)

SeanNeedham

Ol' Sparky
Honorary Life Member
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I've been coming back on to this thread Scott, and that fifth one, I think you're doing it and yourself a bit of an injustice calling that an also ran.

H1ghlander

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
I've been coming back on to this thread Scott, and that fifth one, I think you're doing it and yourself a bit of an injustice calling that an also ran.
Kind of you to say Sean but it's not really clicking with me and can't put my finger on why. Maybe because the conditions were better before and after or I took a better shot from the same spot by just turning 90 degrees to my right. This one below.
It was a fork in the road, spent ages have an internal debate inside deciding which way to go....lol.

woods-5.JPG

SeanNeedham

Ol' Sparky
Honorary Life Member
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
but it's not really clicking with me and can't put my finger on why
It happens like that, you could throw a hand full of rocks in any direction around this forum and nobble ten folk who don't get the "vibe" off an image but if they show it then another person would do.

alpethsm

Old Hand
Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
That's a lovely set and you seem to be taking good advantage of the mist. Down south it's receded to drab grey skies.

Of the pictures the one I keep going back to look at is no4, I like the delicate grasses in the foreground and the tree trunks snaking upwards in silhouette. Both no 5 and the alternative you just posted are nice, I slightly prefer the newer one for the simplicity of the image..... I know that probably doesn't help!

Stephen F

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
#5 for me Scott, i love the tones in this, the subtle shades of gold and browns and the greens of the grass contrast with the more subtle tones. And the way the track leads in and round the corner to disappear, what is round there and where doe's it go. Just my interpretation but there is something in that one image that doe's it for me..

H1ghlander

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
Cheers you two. No. 5 is growing on me slowly, as is the second.