1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Some oldies from the Outer Hebrides

Discussion in 'Landscape Photography Forum' started by H1ghlander, Jun 17, 2018.

1. H1ghlander

H1ghlander Always on

Edit my images ?:
    No
    It's about this time of year I begin to prepare for our annual two week tour of the Outer Hebrides. We've decided not to go this year for several reasons which is disappointing. Over the years I've massed hundreds of pictures from the islands which have never been processed. Here's three which I went over last night.

manger beach.JPG

taransay.JPG

tolsta.JPG

2. hooferinsane

hooferinsane EXIF Seeker Super Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    That's a good set Scott, the light in the second makes that one the pick for me

H1ghlander likes this.
  3. Hatter

Hatter Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Great shots - I particularly like the first one.

H1ghlander likes this.
  4. Roger S

Roger S Crazy Canuck Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Good ones, Scott. I'm with Brian. The light in the second makes it.

H1ghlander likes this.
  5. wraggtime

wraggtime Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    No
    I like them all Scott, makes me want to go.

H1ghlander likes this.
  6. Phill104

Phill104 Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I’ll add to those that fav the second shot. Something really nice about that one.

H1ghlander likes this.
  7. H1ghlander

H1ghlander Always on

Edit my images ?:
    No
    Cheers guys.
    The first and last are never going to compete with the second. Quite like that one myself for the gorgeous tones in the rock. It had just rained accentuating the colour and giving them a sleek sheen.
    I've done a similar frame to the second with a more subdued sky, probably posted it last year. It's very nice in print.

8. David_MC

David_MC Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    While I do like the 2nd a lot I am personally drawn to the first one. The leading line of the stream and the mood created my the nearly monochrome colors and the clouds does it for me.

H1ghlander likes this.
  9. H1ghlander

H1ghlander Always on

Edit my images ?:
    No
    Cheers David. It's pretty bleak but I don't mind bleak. :) Very grey and overcast on the day so wanted the picture to reflect that, hope it does.
    Had the whole beach to myself but had to clone out some footprints when a family walked on to the beach and the mother walked right through my frame. The beach is huge but walked straight over and in front making no attempt to walk around. It was obvious to me it was a deliberate act. She later spoke saying she grew up close to the beach which reaffirmed my suspicion she was deliberately making it clear this was here beach and she'd do anything she wants. After walking through the foreground she spent a long time pointlessly running back and forth through the water in the mid ground, hence the long exposure. I believe this was also an attempt to spoil the shots. Silly cow!

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
  10. Mike Singh

Mike Singh Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    They are all outstanding Scott. I personally favour No 1, as I like the mood and the limited palette works so well.
    Mike

H1ghlander likes this.
  11. Haripaul

Haripaul Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I'm glad you decided to show them, they are stunning shots, so I can't pick out a favorite.

H1ghlander likes this.
  12. balami

balami Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Good set, the first is the pick for me.

H1ghlander likes this.
  13. Jason

Jason Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I like them all. :) The foreground in the first is ace though, if I were to pick one.

H1ghlander likes this.
  14. cbarnard7

cbarnard7 Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Number 2 for me, Scott. Nice light.

H1ghlander likes this.
  15. Pete Larkin

Pete Larkin Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    All great, but I take issue with your statement about #1 not competing with the others. It is a superbly tranquil and restful shot which makes me just want to sit and look. The others, due to the wave action, are much less so...but I'd still have them on the wall!

H1ghlander likes this.
  16. alpethsm

alpethsm Old Hand

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Lovely set, first being the pick for me, generally like the shots that are almost a mono, just a hint of colour. I think I prefer it with a little bit cropped off the top though.

H1ghlander likes this.
  17. Sundar Amartur

Sundar Amartur Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    1 and 3 for me. The river leading in an ever so gentle curve of #1 and the solitary rocky outcrop of #2 does it. I see the foreground of #1 a bit grainy, could be the natural texture or snow. Beam up the rest from your treasure trove Scotty :)

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
    H1ghlander likes this.
  18. H1ghlander

H1ghlander Always on

Edit my images ?:
    No
    Thanks again guys.
    Thanks Sundar, you could be right. I was guilty of over sharpening the foreground sand too much, wanted to give it lots of texture but pushed it too far. The hi rez appears overly grainy too, even for sand, so knocked it back a little.

Sundar Amartur likes this.
  19. Isac

Isac Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Like them all but I think the textures in #1 are a standout for me.

H1ghlander likes this.
  20. Ramble Vision

Ramble Vision Mountain Climber Super Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    No
    shame your not going this year. I always look forward to seeing the results of your trip.

this is a quality set. I like the 1st and last last especially. The 1st for its tones and moods and the last for its simplicity and mood.

21. tenchy

tenchy Rain maker Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    as generally agreed the 2nd takes the cream here. lovely warm colours in the rick and interest throughout the scene.

what actual colour is the sand in the 1st?

22. H1ghlander

H1ghlander Always on

Edit my images ?:
    No
    Cheers Steve. Probably yellow-ish white ish, I dunno...sandy colour....lol. You wanna see the untouched original?

23. tenchy

tenchy Rain maker Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    It's OK :) Was wondering as it was almost colourless but dirty looking

24. H1ghlander

H1ghlander Always on

Edit my images ?:
    No
    Different shades and textures I guess.