• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Some Woodland Photography

SFTphotography

Always on
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Have I taken leave of my senses?

Probably. Whilst I enjoyed exploring this little bit of forest near Loch Chon these style of pictures will never hold the appeal of the big vista style shot, or detail mountain shot. However this was what the weather conditions offered with a thick fog killing the plan for golden light reflections at Loch Ard or Loch Chon.

_IMG0885 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

_IMG0899 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

RyanB

Eye of the Tiger
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Beautiful shots, think I prefer #2 with the curve of the bluebells creating a nice leading line but both are very well taken and processed.

SFTphotography

Always on
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Beautiful shots, think I prefer #2 with the curve of the bluebells creating a nice leading line but both are very well taken and processed.
Thanks -Im on the edge re the processing. I know it's misty so contrast is at an all time low but wonder if they could take a bit more in the curves layer pulling the midtones out.

David_MC

Always on
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Beautiful shots. I do like the bluebells in the second but I also like the interesting shapes on the trees in the first.

luckypig

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I like the first one...perhaps you could edit it a bit on photoshop and add a mysterious figure in the mist

SFTphotography

Always on
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Beautiful shots. I do like the bluebells in the second but I also like the interesting shapes on the trees in the first.
For me it has to be one - it's the textures and shapes of the distant trees that swings it. Enchanting. I will be back next Spring for this, the colour palate of the green, blue and steely grey mist is wonderful.

alpethsm

Old Hand
Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Both are lovely shots, I'd really like to see higher resolution versions of these (possibly links to flickr?) I feel like these shots like these which are about the texture of the forest floor contrasting with the hazy background are losing a lot through compression. Anyway lovely colours and the second just wins for the composition although I do like the muted colours of the first.

Paddy Landau

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
You've made the best of what was available.

Speaking as a rank amateur, I prefer the first one: It has both motion and emotion, simultaneously welcoming and ominous.

SFTphotography

Always on
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
You've made the best of what was available.

Speaking as a rank amateur, I prefer the first one: It has both motion and emotion, simultaneously welcoming and ominous.
When it comes to this genre I am a rank and disinterested amateur - but you've picked the correct one.

Here's a more thoughtful take on it.

_IMG0887 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

H1ghlander

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
That's a vast improvement on the first one with the pokey up stumps positioned better in the frame rather than hard up against the edge.
I think the above version would benefit hugely from some warm split toning in the highlights and possibly but not necessarily the shadows to inject a little mood. Personally I'd have moved to the right to position them in the gap between the two trees in the background but it's no biggie. With woodland a couple of inches here or there can make or break a shot. Try playing with wider apertures, f/6.3 or greater, to make foregrounds or trees pop against a softer background which gives the impression of mystery. Woodland is about creating an atmosphere with mood and nothing to do with reality.
Good to see you doing something different, broadening your horizons rather than the same repetitive compositions. For me woodland is by far the most rewarding form of landscape photography. Just wandering amongst nature not saddled with large amounts of equipment looking for oddities, relationships, characterful trees or little scenes which please.

SFTphotography

Always on
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
That's a vast improvement on the first one with the pokey up stumps positioned better in the frame rather than hard up against the edge.
I think the above version would benefit hugely from some warm split toning in the highlights and possibly but not necessarily the shadows to inject a little mood. Personally I'd have moved to the right to position them in the gap between the two trees in the background but it's no biggie. With woodland a couple of inches here or there can make or break a shot. Try playing with wider apertures, f/6.3 or greater, to make foregrounds or trees pop against a softer background which gives the impression of mystery. Woodland is about creating an atmosphere with mood and nothing to do with reality.
Good to see you doing something different, broadening your horizons rather than the same repetitive compositions. For me woodland is by far the most rewarding form of landscape photography. Just wandering amongst nature not saddled with large amounts of equipment looking for oddities, relationships, characterful trees or little scenes which please.
Thank you for taking the time to comment. 100% agree - a few paces to the right and maybe looking at it a tighter framing could work well. The wider aperatures is a good shout also, and would solve a lot of technical issues with front to back sharpness- just throw it out the window and put what you want in focus and let the rest just be, much like doing a portrait.

I'll be back for the Bluebells next year, it was a lovely thing to see and be around in and have a look over the summer and autumn months for some more but I ultimately prefer the lakeside, just can't beat that early morning, nothing moving feeling you get.

Snips

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
That last version is dramatically different and a huge improvement - just shows what patient editing can achieve

SFTphotography

Always on
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
That last version is dramatically different and a huge improvement - just shows what patient editing can achieve
Crop and aspect ratio matter. I think for me this is the keeper - 3:2 - the background is slightly OOF but the mist it actually doesn't matter.

_IMG0890 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

Or maybe this 2:1

_IMG0888 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

The wider 5:2 crops look great on a big screen but at web res not so sure.

What I enjoyed is the wealth of different shots you can take in such a small space. It'll give the misty mornings in August a new purpose and late April/early May purpose and the danker autumnal days as well.