1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Sometimes things are just black and white (Tried something different today)

Discussion in 'Mono Images Forum' started by Kevin Fox, Dec 1, 2017.

1. Kevin Fox

Kevin Fox Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)

_FOX4351.jpg

_FOX4440.jpg

_FOX4436.jpg

_FOX4462.jpg

_FOX4424.jpg

_FOX4401.jpg

Mike Singh likes this.
  2. Agiledogs

Agiledogs Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Interesting set. What tools are you using for your conversions? (if you are not shooting film).

On the last I just noticed the trunk nearest is out of focus which I think detracts from the intersections of the different branch lines.

#5 is quite bleak without leaves. I like the play of lines but not sure on the central horizon placement. I think you could go either up or down and have a equally dynamic image.

I like the idea of #4 but symmetry is slightly off...perhaps not by choice. I like the initial calmness of the water in the foreground blending to ripples as you move further away

#2 and 3 I like the selective lighting

It took me a few views but I like the pattern expressed in the bird's wings.

Kevin Fox likes this.
  3. Kevin Fox

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Thanks. I did these all in lightroom only. I really jacked up the contract and whites and dropped the blacks.
    I saw this contrasty scenes yesterday around the same time but had the wrong lens. In the last, I wanted to highlight that lighter tree somehow. That's as clear a shoot as I could get. It would have been nicer without the nearest trunk.
    I also was undecided where to put the horizons in the shots. I really didn't want to loose the reflections.
    The cormorant was being backlit by the suns reflection on the water. It looked horrible in color so I tried a contrasy b&w.

4. petelarkin

petelarkin Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Good stuff. #2 Stands out by a mile, though the cormorant is pretty good too. The symmetry in #4 could be sorted out with a small dose of the skew tool, and I like that too (but would probably lose the trees, if it were mine). I like them

Kevin Fox likes this.
  5. Kevin Fox

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Thanks. On 4, there is a slight curve to the harbor. I've tried to get it symmetric many times and thought I got it this time in camera. I'll have a play with it when I get home.

petelarkin likes this.
  6. MikeB

MikeB Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    #2 for me as well.

7. fmw

fmw Active Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    When you do, crop out the sky and shoreline. They detract from focus of the image. It will turn a good image into a great one.

8. Puffin

Puffin Always on Honorary Life Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I love the second image, I just wish the tree trunks in the water weren't there.

9. steve b

steve b Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Number 4 for me, I love the man-made symmetry against the background of nature. Another for the cormorant as my second pick.

10. Roger S

Roger S Crazy Canuck Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    @fmw Why not drop over to the WHO ARE YOU section and introduce yourself to the gang? You've made 10 posts in the forum so far, and we don't even know who you are, or what your background might be. I'm sure the rest of the regulars are as curious as I am.

11. fmw

fmw Active Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    OK. Reasonable request.

12. Mike Singh

Mike Singh Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I like the Comrant the best.