1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Sony a9 Game changer ?

Discussion in 'Photography News Forum' started by mikew, Apr 20, 2017.

1. mikew

mikew Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Not long ago this would have been fiction,

2. SeanNeedham

SeanNeedham Ol' Sparky Honorary Life Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Just looks another Sony spec sheet exercise; and even from their own product notes a lot of these maximums stated are under really specific conditions (lens, focus mode, file type, shutter mode) which would probably not find their way in to real world scenarios without jumping a lot of hoops.

It certainly looks very pretty in the blurb but once it's out in the real world then it'd be interesting to see how it stacks up against the Nikon/Canon single digits, but I wouldn't be surprised that it gets its backside kicked in a few departments and there's some annoying flies in the ointment as well.

3. MikeB

MikeB Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Sony has produced some excellent cameras and are quite competitive with Canon and Nikon. Their main weakness remains the availability of quality lenses, though they are improving here also.

4. Kevin Fox

Kevin Fox Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    If it breaks, what do you do with it? Total lack of support, from what I hear.

5. Mike Singh

Mike Singh Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
  6. SeanNeedham

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Video guy from work had two run ins with Sony's service department; both on different models of camera, both in warranty and both down to component level failure. The first they kept hold of for five months until it was out of warranty and then contacted him to say they couldn't do anything because it was out of warranty and the second the response was basically "There's the newer version out, buy that."; if they were cheap point and pops I could understand the unwillingness to fix them but when they are a couple of grand a piece...

Needless to say, he's back on Canons now.

Kevin Fox and Mike Singh like this.
  7. Kevin Fox

Kevin Fox Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Yep, that's the type of stories I've heard. Not that cameras break often, but it's something to consider.

8. SeanNeedham

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    It's them things that put me off as Sony do build very nice cameras; I've really got the hots for the RX100iv/v but I'm used to nipping in to town in the morning, going in to the service centre, having a coffee with the tech whilst going through the job sheet and generally having my camera back in my hand that day or the next.

The problem with Sony is that they treat the camera products like other consumer orientated products instead of working kit (like the big broadcast cams they build) and the mindset in that sort of thing is dispose/replace instead of repair... That's ok for a 250 note TV but something that costs more than most people's first car is a bit off-putting.

Kevin Fox likes this.
  9. Jason

Jason Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I had quite a long look at Sony when I ditched my Canon stuff. Spent an hour or so in Jessops messing around with the A7ii and a lens or three. Went with Nikon in the end (and am glad I did.) The, comparative, lack of lenses was one factor but my experience with Sony's customer support was what made the choice easy. I had a run-in with them over my PS3 and it's pretty obvious that they don't give a toss about their customers. Their habit of just dropping product lines is also a concern and a reason to avoid.