1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Sony alpha a6000 lens options

Discussion in 'Photography Chat Forum' started by Happy Camper, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Happy Camper

Happy Camper Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I am a total newbie and just purchased a Sony alpha a6000 as I wanted a better camera, not bulky, and in my price range. My husband and I go camping and hiking a lot in the mountains and national parks etc. so I love taking photos of landscapes, wildlife, plants, and wanting to start night sky photos. I have the 18-50 lens and the 55-210 that came in the bundle. I have been looking on amazon and I am now at a loss on what would be the best options I found an 18mm wide angle and 14 mm but not sure what would be better for what I want to do. I definitely need some affordable options as sonys lenses are so stinking expensive. Any advice or suggestions would be fabulous. Again a newbie so I have nothing!

2. MikeB

MikeB Old Hand Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Hi, You have a very nice high resolution camera that is best served by high resolution lenses.

The Samyang 12mm f/2.0 wide-angle lens (18mm equivalent) provides an excellent wide angle of view and is a nice fast lens for astrophotography. This is a fast, inexpensive lens. However, it is all manual - focus and aperture and provides no communication with the camera (no EXIF). Manually focusing a wide angle lens is fairly simple, and when shooting the night sky you will want to use a tripod anyway.

An inexpensive approach for getting great lenses at low cost is to pickup some used m42 lenses and using an adapter to the E-Mount. The lens will need to be manual focus and apeture, but there are some great lenses available for unbelievable prices.

If you want to have autofocus and camera controlled apeture, you can pickup some used lenses for the Canon EF mount (Canon, Sigma, Tamron, Samyang, etc.) and use the Metabones adapter to the E-Mount. The adapter is a bit expensive but opens up a world of great lenses. For example the Canon EF-S 60mm macro lens is one of Canon's best lenses, it is a macro lens, and great for portraits.

By the way, this thread should be under the "Photography Chat Forum" as this is not actually a review. Also, stop in to the "Who Are You" forum and tell us more about yourself and your photography.

3. Roger S

IOTM

Roger S Crazy Canuck Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    There is no need to create two identical threads in two different sections. One will do.