1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Sony doesn’t make my batteries anymore!

Discussion in 'Film and Vintage Forum' started by Dell the Engie, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Dell the Engie

Dell the Engie New Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Hello all! This is actually my first post on this forum, so below my issue I’m having I’ll put a little about me. :)

So I procured a Sony Video 8 camera from ~1985, and everything works perfectly! The only thing wrong is that the batteries for it, the Sony NP-22, is discontinued, and through hours of searching online, I can’t find a single replacement or refurbishment for it! I bought a new old stock one from eBay, but it doesn’t hold a charge. Edit: I did find a company (batterytex.com) that is offering to refurbish a battery that I send in, but they want 30 bucks to do it. What do y’all suggest I do?

So a little about me, I’ve only recently gotten into photography and filmography seriously, but I’ve always liked filming things and taking photos. My grandfather really loved to film things, he when he passed away about 3 years ago I got all of his cameras. I’m just now going through them, however.

2. Phill104

Phill104 Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    It was a nicad battery pack so any old stock will more than likely be knackered by now, they break down over time. You can google a full explanation but that is the crux of it.

If it was me, I would open it and replace the cells with either new nicad ones or go the lithium route. Being 6v output that does make things a little complex going the lithium option unless you really know what you are doing.

What this company you mentioned will do is similar, they will open the pack and slap in new nicad cells. Usually these packs were made up of existing easy to get hold of cells joined together. I would guess, 4 or 8 1.5v nicad cells configured to give the 6v required. They are often joined together with little strips of metal welded to the terminals and for that special too,s are required, or at least some imaginative shed tinkering.so 30 bucks seems a fair price if they do a good job.

Andy 0 likes this.
  3. MikeB

MikeB Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    You do have options. I would consider converting the camera to accept an external battery connection. It may even be cheaper in the long run.

4. 4jrosario

4jrosario Active Member

Edit my images ?:
    No
  5. ed taylor

ed taylor Super Ed Super Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
  6. Andy 0

Andy 0 Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    As @Phil104 said Ni-Cad is a prehistory technology now; lack of support is no small wonder.

There's a range of options but workarounds require electronics knowledge; you wouldn't posit this if you had this with all due respect.

Essentially Ni-Cad is dead (I know, I know... But for this thread's purposes. . ) so you can't blame the manufacturer.

I can say with almost certainty Sony didn't make the initial or replacement batteries.

7. Phill104

Phill104 Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Andy 0 and MikeB like this.
  8. Roger S

Roger S Crazy Canuck Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I would check out the Sony NP-55 battery to see if it fits the camera. The NP-55 is NiMH instead of NiCad. It's still 6V and 2100 mAh.